PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'3 GT in junkyard, what parts should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2015, 11:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Default '3 GT in junkyard, what parts should I get?

I found a nice '03 GT in the local Pull-A-Part. Are there any parts I should consider swapping to my '05 Limited turbo lite?
Do the GT's have better sway bars? I know it has the rear disks, but is this a worthwhile swap? It has some really nice seats, too bad they are black.
I got one of the GT rims, somebody else got the other three.

Are there any parts I should buy just to resell on ebay?
Old 29 Sep 2015, 11:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: '3 GT in junkyard, what parts should I get?

The number one thing on 03 Turbos is the radiator fan assembly or the motors alone if the housing is broken.
The air charge hose from the air charge cooler ( also desireable) to the throttle body with its clamps is also a good piece. Of course, the Turbo unit itself and the PCM on the firewall along with the VIN number of the car it is taken from.
If the interior is good at least the front seats, about $40 each in this area.
Don't forget to keep all fasteners from the pieces you remove.
Oh yes, also check the back of the roof for a Sirius Radio antenna bubble. The radio should be taken if possible and the satellite unit under the plastic shielding in the left rear of the compartment in the back. The cables are long and hard to remove especially unset the dash but you can do it.the radio antenna bubble is held by two-sided tape.
Don't forget the spoiler too.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 01:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

The radio was already gone, and the air hose from airbox to turbo was all disintegrated on the turbo end.
I can understand the PCM and the turbo, but why are the radiator fans sought after?
Old 29 Sep 2015, 01:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The 03 was the first year of the Turbos. The cooling fans were unique to only that year because they are Bosch Mercedes variable speed motors controlled by the computer. 04-later use a different fan which doesn't interchange with 03.
My son found one this morning locally so we now have a spare for both our cars, his 03 GT and my Dream. I had use our previous spare to get my Dream inspected. You don't want to not have a spare fan motor if you own an 03 Turbo PT. They are very expensive new, like $5-600, used on eBay $300+.
That's why.
The rear sway bars were discontinued in 02 but you can install one on your 05 as my son and I have on our 03s. You'll need to buy new links and nuts for the axle mount bolts. 01-02 have the nuts built into the axle bracket. There are only four bolts to remove the sway bar from a donor car.
The front sway bar is larger on the GTs so it would be a good swap for you. Replacement rubber bushings are available from your local auto parts store for both the bar to floor brackets and the links to the control arms.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 10 Oct 2015 at 04:19 pm.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

5 speed from a GT is a good find. People want these when they have problems. Seems these are very hard to come by.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Sep 2015, 06:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Wish I could find seats, mine are coming apart
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Wish I could find seats, mine are coming apart
The problem with seats is that they are very expensive the ship due to the weight and size. Bubba_1952 needed some Platinum edition front seats and I ended up pulling the covers off of one and shipping just the covers. It was a lot of work to take the seat apart and remove the covers. And I figure it's even more work to re-install some.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, I did not know about the fans, and I was also wondering about the sway bars. The junkyard GT has the Autostick.