PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo failing?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2015, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo failing?

Hi all, my 2006 pt cruiser is making a noise on hard acceleration in the first few minutes of running. It has never done this before until recently. It is a turbo lite that is stock but I put a stage one ECM on it right after buying it 2 years ago. It has 121k miles and auto. It runs excellent and makes no noise once hot. There is no smoke and it still spikes 15psi. The noise is a metallic noise that occurs at high rpm acceleration only before hot. I checked the turbine shaft and there is up/down/right/left play but no in or out. I assume before it is hot I am getting some interference in there. I only run synthetic. Does this sound like a sick turbo?
Old 06 Oct 2015, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo failing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguy View Post
Hi all, my 2006 pt cruiser is making a noise on hard acceleration in the first few minutes of running. It has never done this before until recently. It is a turbo lite that is stock but I put a stage one ECM on it right after buying it 2 years ago. It has 121k miles and auto. It runs excellent and makes no noise once hot. There is no smoke and it still spikes 15psi. The noise is a metallic noise that occurs at high rpm acceleration only before hot. I checked the turbine shaft and there is up/down/right/left play but no in or out. I assume before it is hot I am getting some interference in there. I only run synthetic. Does this sound like a sick turbo?
They move side to side new. But if you can make the impeller touch the side by hand it's Tim to rebuild. But the rear or exhaust end is the bearing that cokes up the oil passages and eats the bearing. You can't check that on the car.
When you staged your pt did you have to do any other mods to run that PCM? Or just bin flash and install?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Oct 2015, 07:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I bought the car with 106k miles on it 2 years ago so I can't say for sure what oil was used or how often it was changed as well so that could be a pre-existing condition of coking oil in the lines. I can say that the car was 100% stock when I bought it, and all that I did was replace the stock computer with a Stage 1 unit flashed with my VIN from FWD performance. I have not changed anything else, and it is not any type of race car, just a fun commuter convertible. I am most interested in hearing if a bearing noise only when cold is a normal pattern for a turbo bearing getting ready to fail. It is silent as soon as it warms up. Thanks in advance for any additional help. I am very mechanically capable so replacing the turbo cartridge is well within my reach if needed. I sounds like I would need to prepare for a new line too?
Old 07 Oct 2015, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I bought the car with 106k miles on it 2 years ago so I can't say for sure what oil was used or how often it was changed as well so that could be a pre-existing condition of coking oil in the lines. I can say that the car was 100% stock when I bought it, and all that I did was replace the stock computer with a Stage 1 unit flashed with my VIN from FWD performance. I have not changed anything else, and it is not any type of race car, just a fun commuter convertible. I am most interested in hearing if a bearing noise only when cold is a normal pattern for a turbo bearing getting ready to fail. It is silent as soon as it warms up. Thanks in advance for any additional help. I am very mechanically capable so replacing the turbo cartridge is well within my reach if needed. I sounds like I would need to prepare for a new line too?
The light should have the same power the others have once you went stage 1. Has been under speculation on wether this was even posiable at times. So wanted to ask you sence you have been driving one for a while. Also you did the conversion. This of course has nothing to do with your problem. Thanks for talking about the PCM change.
I can say about the noise heing a bearing noise. Bearings are just brass bushings with holes in them. Small oil passages in the cartridge get coked up. You can still do this with synthetic if you don't let cool properly after spirited driving. You probably know this. I'm more wired about the impeller on the exhaust side running the turbofold. Or you may simply have a boost leak under cold conditions that expansion closed off heated up. I do have a sticky in the turbo performance section (rebuilding the turbo) that might interest you. If only to see what I found in mine. The oil inlet line can be had very reasonable on eBay. OEM ones for around $30. My impeller could be pushed by me into touching the outer wall of the housing when I decided to rebuild it. It did not touch on it's own during normal operation. Your milage would suggest if original that it's possible that it's close to time. I know you don't know if it was original. Also in my project thread you will find where I did mine and some things I ran into in the replacement process. Might help some. Post up pics and the process if you do yours. Others will love to see this I'm sure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Oct 2015, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Yes, the Turbo Light now has more power than a regular GT, probably same as a GT with Stage 1. I used to own a GT a few years back. I went from 3-6psi boost with the lite to 12-15psi boost on the stage 1 depending on gear and conditions. It was literally a plug and best, best money I ever spent. I had to wait 3 months for it thought once I ordered it from FWD. Back to the problem, I did not think about the exhaust wheel side of my turbo. That could be what hits when cold. I do not notice the intake side hitting when I wiggle it. I am think to be safe I need to just get in there and redo it along with the pipe. The rebuilt cartridge seems like the easy way to go since otherwise the car will be down much longer if I have to rebuild it myself it looks like. Is there a preferred source online for a rebuilt cartridge?
Old 07 Oct 2015, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yes, the Turbo Light now has more power than a regular GT, probably same as a GT with Stage 1. I used to own a GT a few years back. I went from 3-6psi boost with the lite to 12-15psi boost on the stage 1 depending on gear and conditions. It was literally a plug and best, best money I ever spent. I had to wait 3 months for it thought once I ordered it from FWD. Back to the problem, I did not think about the exhaust wheel side of my turbo. That could be what hits when cold. I do not notice the intake side hitting when I wiggle it. I am think to be safe I need to just get in there and redo it along with the pipe. The rebuilt cartridge seems like the easy way to go since otherwise the car will be down much longer if I have to rebuild it myself it looks like. Is there a preferred source online for a rebuilt cartridge?
I'm told by reliable friend the import ones being sold are not quite the same. And can be short lived. But I forgot the place name of the outfit that they recommend. Skyking767 or Nitro can tell you the name. Not sure how that works with them. But toughs two can fill you in. These two are perticular. So this place has to be good. Are you sure it's indeed coming from the turbo?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Oct 2015, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can't say for sure. It will not make the sound revving in nuetral or brake torque, only high rpm under load in first several minutes of operation. This makes it very hard or impossible to find the noise under the hood. It is a metallic screeching tied directly to wot acceleration and ceases immediately when pull back on the gas. Sounds like it comes from in front of the radio dash area which would be turbo. It is not gear dependant at all. My only other thought was bearing along the belts but that would make the noise in nuetral
Old 12 Oct 2015, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a mystery screeching noise,rebuilt the turbo and the noise was still there .I finally removed the flywheel/converter cover and discovered a cracked ring gear on the flex plate.

2004 GT WITH HO/TURBO --(DREAM CRUISER)
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Turbo failing?

I was just gonna post that when discussing my turbo's noise, that the flex plate was the only other thing mentioned on this forum as the posssible culprit.

Flex plate is fine; turbo still spinning; might be blow off plate in my case.
Busted_PT likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 18 Nov 2015, 01:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Abguy did you ever find out what or where the noise is coming from?? I have the same symptoms but have a manual trans. Only when its cold and 1st 2nd shift with a little foot in it.