PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vacuum?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2015, 02:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Vacuum?

Car is an '03 GT 5 speed. I have an ultra-gauge on it. The car is stone stock with 144,000 miles and it runs fairly well, but is far from perfect. Using the ultra-gauge boost gauge the car is reading a vacuum of 8-10 at idle. That seems a bit low to me, but I am wondering if anybody else is running one, what their cars normally run at? It is pretty steady.

The car has a bunch of other issues which I have been working through. It seems to constantly leak coolant. I fix one leak (radiator weep at the seam) and another pops up (turbo coolant supply hose). Now it seems to be losing some coolant again, though not very quickly.

I get an occasional fuel smell through the vents when it is floored. I will check the accumulator and plastic hose on the firewall.

I also have the chirping belt, particularly when it is damp. The other day the battery light actually came on. I am pretty sure it is just the alternator belt. As the weather dries out it goes away. I have been garaging it so it was almost silent, but Joquin made it come back. I hear the belts will do that if they have had coolant on them and mine obviously has.

Have had codes for 02 and knock sensors (not sure the numbers) come up. They are all original, so I will probably swap them out, but no rush. The knock sensor may have been because it was running low on coolant. I suppose that could make it read out of spec (pinging when not expected to) and I was running 87 octane.

Sorry for the book, but any comments/advise are appreciated.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 03:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Vacuum?

Tucked under your big air charge hose by the battery is a small formed water hose which is the coolant return or feed hose from the turbo pipe to the heater hose pipe. Both my 03 Dream and my son's 03 GT had that hose leak due to old age.
Mine split about a half inch long about a block from home so I got there OK and found the leak without much problem. My sons split but only seeped some at first so was hard to find. It got worse and then he paid attention to Dad, replaced it with loop of water hose and all is well, no more leaks.
Check yours.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 04:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Tucked under your big air charge hose by the battery is a small formed water hose which is the coolant return or feed hose from the turbo pipe to the heater hose pipe. Both my 03 Dream and my son's 03 GT had that hose leak due to old age.
Mine split about a half inch long about a block from home so I got there OK and found the leak without much problem. My sons split but only seeped some at first so was hard to find. It got worse and then he paid attention to Dad, replaced it with loop of water hose and all is well, no more leaks.
Check yours.
Thanks. I actually had a mechanic do the hose behind the turbo. It was just too much of a pain for me. Some of the heater hoses looked sketchy, so I will probably try to do everything including the hose you mentioned.

Right now the car has nothing but water in it. It leaked so much that is what I used and I have been draining and refilling with distilled water. It is possible that it is just boiling over. The car never really runs over 206, but I know that when you shut it down it goes much higher. I think the pressure should still keep the boiling point up though.

I'm more concerned about the vacuum/boost situation. I don't think it ever pulls more than 11 and I haven't seen over 8 psi in boost. I am wondering if the timing is right.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 06:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

previous post about testing mine NA:

Quote:
at idle, the vacuum gauge sits stable at 21. it sits stable at 23 when i hold the throttlebody open at different amounts. i'd guess i tried it at 2000, 3000, and 4000, judging by ear. it's weird because i thought the number would have decreased since the TB was open. when i try sweeping it from 1000 to 3000 slowly it fluctuates from 20-24. i think it's my fault though because i feel like i'm fighting the IAC or something when i do it.
you might ask nitro what his reads. he's the resident Ultragauge nut, or buy a cheap one from a parts store and test it the ld fashioned way like I did. keep in mind you may have less due to altitude if you live on pikes peak.

you might enjoy this if you go the manual gauge route. you may need a real gauge though so you can see it fluctuate
Animated Engine Vacuum Diagnostics
Fk5 likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2015, 10:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Check yours.
That's the same frigging hose that I had a problem with a couple of weeks ago. What a crappy design and pain in the butt to replace. Maybe it would have been easier on a rack, but doing it on a concrete driveway and ramps didn't allow for a lot of room. Come to think of it, that's NOT the hose I replaced. Mine is on the back of the engine and runs right beside the exhaust manifold. It's a piece of rubber hose about 5 inches long that connects to two hard, steel lines. It has coolant running through it too.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Oct 2015, 06:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

you might ask nitro what his reads. he's the resident Ultragauge nut, or buy a cheap one from a parts store and test it the ld fashioned way like I did. keep in mind you may have less due to altitude if you live on pikes peak.

you might enjoy this if you go the manual gauge route. you may need a real gauge though so you can see it fluctuate
I have a manual vacuum gauge I pulled from an old Bonneville, but it doesn't have numbers and I figured I would grenade it if I hit boost. I am mostly wondering what "normal" readings are on an ultra-gauge. I will try to hit up Nitro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
That's the same frigging hose that I had a problem with a couple of weeks ago. What a crappy design and pain in the butt to replace. Maybe it would have been easier on a rack, but doing it on a concrete driveway and ramps didn't allow for a lot of room. Come to think of it, that's NOT the hose I replaced. Mine is on the back of the engine and runs right beside the exhaust manifold. It's a piece of rubber hose about 5 inches long that connects to two hard, steel lines. It has coolant running through it too.
Yep. That's the one that went on my car. You could see it leaking, but barely see the hose. Mostly you could just feel it and that was after I took the air box and hose out of the way.
Old 09 Oct 2015, 06:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

It's those doggone spring clamps they put on them. I like to have never gotten my hand and arm twisted into a position where I could get my pliers on them in order to get them off. Putting them back on wasn't as difficult, but was still a chore. I'm getting too old to be worrying about that kind of thing.
Fk5 and caskieadam like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Oct 2015, 06:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
It's those doggone spring clamps they put on them. I like to have never gotten my hand and arm twisted into a position where I could get my pliers on them in order to get them off. Putting them back on wasn't as difficult, but was still a chore. I'm getting too old to be worrying about that kind of thing.
My hose was split. I ashamed to admit that I paid a guy.
chuzz likes this.
Old 09 Oct 2015, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting a coolant compression tester so you can check to see if you are leaking coolant anywhere else. You want to keep a sealed coolant system in your PT Cruiser.

I would also suggest checking the wiring and contacts going to the 02 sensors before checking the 02 sensors.
Fk5 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Oct 2015 at 08:01 am.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 09:41 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post

Nitro was a big help. Great guy. I was just reading the wrong gauge. According to his readings it seems like it is as expected. I was trying to read the boost gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest getting a coolant compression tester so you can check to see if you are leaking coolant anywhere else. You want to keep a sealed coolant system in your PT Cruiser.

I would also suggest checking the wiring and contacts going to the 02 sensors before checking the 02 sensors.
Yeah. Thanks. I have tried the borrowed coolant tester from Auto Zone. I think the hoses are just "at that age". I get one fixed and another starts to weep. I am going to change them and keep at it. I will check the wiring, but was basically advised to expect to have to change the sensors based on the age/miles.