PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Troubleshooting a turbo GT.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2015, 02:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Troubleshooting a turbo GT.

I am looking to troubleshoot a turbo GT. It seems to act as if when the turbo kicks in it bogs down. Occasionally it runs fine.
Previous owner recently done work, see below. I believe likely candidates are vacuum leak or a bad/intermittent sensor. I have been looking for such but have not found any except the intake tube clamp on the throttle body was not tight. Tightened it up and took for a drive. Run good and thought that was it, but next time out, same bogging.

I have been looking for a good vacuum diagram and sensor diagram.
Any links to such?

No codes yet, looking at the various tuners to get started, leaning to Diablosport. I assume the tuners allow me to get most of the codes and to clear them? [Please do not hijack this thread on tuners. ; ) Simple comments are fine. ] The engine graphic is on constant but when it is failing the graphic will flash.

Any other thoughts?

Background:
Checked out a 2003 PT GT auto. 192,500 miles. Decent shape. Good price.
Don had bought for a daughter. Had it abought a year. She got a different car. He says he has very recently replaced timing belt, radiator, head gasket and an idler pulley. He seems to have the experience and ability, he had several vehicles he was building up. So the only unknown is his quality. He thought the engine cylinder cross hatching seemed to indicate an engine replacement in the past.

Checked out and drove on a Saturday. Bought and drove home 275 miles. Everything seemed fine. Licensed on Tuesday and drove around town several days. Couple days ago as I was driving, it suddenly bogged down. So now it will start off OK then bog down and run rough. Stop, shut down, restart and go OK, then bog down again. And sometimes it will drive OK till the next time you take it out.
It seems to act as if when the turbo kicks in is when it bogs down.
No contamination in oil. No apparent coolant leaks. First experience with a turbo.

- - - -

see post #7 10/31/15

Got a 2003 PT GT, auto, 10/3/2015 192,500 mi
Purple (OK, Deep Cranberry); I call him Barney

Last edited by jydog; 31 Oct 2015 at 02:11 pm. Reason: item added
Old 11 Oct 2015, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Troubleshooting a turbo GT.

i've attached the vacuum diagram for your specific PT. i wouldn't know where to start with the sensor stuff. i'd be posting for days.

for the bogging... are you running premium fuel? if the car seems to lack power as the turbo kicks in, ECU pulling timing would be my W.A.G. -checking and clearing codes is my recommendation.

as with any new to you car, plugs, wires, and air filter would also be recommended. i bought my car at 214k miles and it had the original plugs in it. the crosshatching still visible at 175k doesn't mean you have a new motor, that is common. it just means it isn't a chevy truck that's been pulling an overloaded trailer for 10 years. if you buy plugs, get normal champion OEM plugs. no fancy stuff, and gap them to .042.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101688353.jpg (16.1 KB, 19 views)
SPLNeon likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 11 Oct 2015 at 03:42 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 02:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tried some fuel injector cleaner? Can't hurt. Rob covered the rest for the most part. Let us know what you find after all that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Oct 2015, 10:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i've attached the vacuum diagram for your specific PT. i wouldn't know where to start with the sensor stuff. i'd be posting for days.

for the bogging... are you running premium fuel? if the car seems to lack power as the turbo kicks in, ECU pulling timing would be my W.A.G. -checking and clearing codes is my recommendation.

as with any new to you car, plugs, wires, and air filter would also be recommended. i bought my car at 214k miles and it had the original plugs in it. the crosshatching still visible at 175k doesn't mean you have a new motor, that is common. it just means it isn't a chevy truck that's been pulling an overloaded trailer for 10 years. if you buy plugs, get normal champion OEM plugs. no fancy stuff, and gap them to .042.
humbug

NGK copper
rob342 likes this.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 12 Oct 2015, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

> attached the vacuum diagram
Thanks, but when I blow it up to read it is too blurry.

I'll try some cleaner.

Don had mentioned putting in new plugs but was having trouble with the gapping.

If the waste gate was sticking sometimes, would that cause similar symptons?

(Put driving symptons in original post)

Old 12 Oct 2015, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the wiring and contacts going to the Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, so it looks as if my problem is temp related.

I can start it cold and drive with no problems, hundreds of miles and hours. But if I stop after it warms up and shut it off, when I start it up and go, it will bog down after a short acceleration. Once it cools down it will run fine till the next shut off and startup. When it is bogging down, I can turn the key off, start, and drive fine for a few seconds before it bogs down again. I can nurse it up to a speed where airflow will cool it down enough to drive good again (after a turn off and start).

By warm, it is just under the half way mark on the temp gauge. The PT runs between the 2nd and 3rd (half way) mark on the gauge. The running temp is around 140 to 150 degrees according to a scan tool. It never gets hot. Anything over the 2nd gauge mark causes the erratic operation.

The only codes shown are P03XXs and the P2305 (Coil Secondary xxxxx, which usually seems to be useless).

So Im thinking an intercooler issue or a flakey sensor?
Thoughts?

Old 31 Oct 2015, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the wires going to the ignition coil and also the ignition coil itself.

Which P03xx codes are you getting? This is important as there are two sides to the ignition coil.

Does the problem seem to come up when the radiator fan high speed kicks in?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Oct 2015 at 04:16 pm.
Old 01 Nov 2015, 09:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Check the routing of the wires to the coil plug in as well. If not routed correctly, they seem to get too tight. This is probably not your problem, but just due diligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking the wires going to the ignition coil and also the ignition coil itself.

Which P03xx codes are you getting? This is important as there are two sides to the ignition coil.

Does the problem seem to come up when the radiator fan high speed kicks in?

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 03 Nov 2015, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I'm reaching here but a friend had a similar problem with his restored 914 Porsche this summer. It was the fuel pump. Once the car got hot it would bog down bad and he'd have to wait for it to cool off. Fix was to move the fuel pump away from the motor, as it would get too hot.

So maybe fuel filter or pump related? Can you hear the whiny little fuel pump in the back when the car is idling? Just guessing. Good luck!
2003 GT Autostick Drilled & Slotted F/R Disc Brakes - "Premium" OEM Door Speakers - Rear Sway Bar - 17" Chrome Wheels - Bright Silver w/ Blue Ghost Rider Flames - LED Reverse Bulbs - Heated Leather Seats - OEM Engine Block Heater - Mopar Subwoofer