Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 03TXPTGT
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2015, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Idle Air Control Valve

Hey Fellas, does anyone have a good, used Idle Air Control Valve lying around that you're not using? I'm having idle issues with the GT and someone that I trust has suggested that I might try swapping the IAC with a known good one. My vacuum gauge shows late timing, but it was pointed out that a vacuum gauge is more for the older cars with carburetors and not the modern computer controlled, fuel injected vehicles. Good point that I never even thought about. I did check my timing marks and they're spot on at TDC on # 1 piston. I gotta try something else as this is driving me nuts. If I get home in time tomorrow, I plan on changing the nasty transmission fluid and filter on the bad boy. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, because it's messy, but it's got to be done and I can't afford to take it somewhere and have some idiot put the wrong fluid in. I've got my ATF+4 and gasket and filter kit (Wix), so I'm good to go.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 06:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Idle Air Control Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hey Fellas, does anyone have a good, used Idle Air Control Valve lying around that you're not using? I'm having idle issues with the GT and someone that I trust has suggested that I might try swapping the IAC with a known good one. My vacuum gauge shows late timing, but it was pointed out that a vacuum gauge is more for the older cars with carburetors and not the modern computer controlled, fuel injected vehicles. Good point that I never even thought about. I did check my timing marks and they're spot on at TDC on # 1 piston. I gotta try something else as this is driving me nuts. If I get home in time tomorrow, I plan on changing the nasty transmission fluid and filter on the bad boy. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, because it's messy, but it's got to be done and I can't afford to take it somewhere and have some idiot put the wrong fluid in. I've got my ATF+4 and gasket and filter kit (Wix), so I'm good to go.

The IAC valve in the G1's can be cleaned...just remove it, pull out the needle & clean with carb fluid.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 16 Oct 2015, 06:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
The transmission fluid change job isn't that bad.

And boy will you be able to tell a difference with the new fluid !
chuzz likes this.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 17 Oct 2015, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The IAC valve in the G1's can be cleaned...just remove it, pull out the needle & clean with carb fluid.
I've already done that, man. Made no difference what so ever.

Old 17 Oct 2015, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the following items:

PCV System - Inspect the PCV system. Check the PCV valve and the hoses going to it.

Vacuum Leaks – Check for external vacuum leaks, engine make up air hose on the manifold and or air box, power brake system, throttle body, intake manifold gasket. A compression leak down test would help rule out intake leaks.

Air Induction System – Check for dirty air cleaner.

Throttle Body - Inspect the throttle body plate for carbon build up. Inspect the throttle linkage for binding and smooth operation. Check the throttle plate is resting on the stop at idle.

Are you getting any engine trouble codes?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Oct 2015 at 10:29 am.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

No engine codes and the air filter is practically brand new. I MIGHT have 1,500 miles on it. Never found the breather element I need and to be honest, forgot about it until just now. I've removed every sensor on the damn thing and cleaned them. I even removed the throttle body and gave it a good cleaning. I just got home from the junkyard and NO turbo PT's at all. They have about a dozen PT's, so I scored two doors and a fender for mine for a total of $197.95. Not too bad and since they all are the same color and even have the pin stripes on them, I think I did okay.
03TXPTGT likes this.

Old 17 Oct 2015, 05:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
My vacuum gauge shows late timing
what does that mean, low vacuum? if so, how low?
my NA 2002 has 21hg at 950ft altitude

are you using good quality premium fuel in your GT as recommended?

i've rarely seen an IAC fix anything here. you can just remove the IAC and stick your thumb over the hole to see if the vacuum increases. -free and easy (:

Last edited by rob342; 17 Oct 2015 at 05:37 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 10:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'll try that, Rob. It's pulling 15" of vacuum off the back of the intake, where the PCV hose is connected. I don't much think it's the IAC either. And yes, I'm running SUNOCO premium gas in it. No more of the Murphy gas. I've seen absolutely no difference in 3 tanks full now, though. Still getting 22 mpg.