Coolant Leak

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2015, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant Leak

2005 GT here. I seem to have a coolant leak that is dripping from the bend on the intercooler pipe located about center rear of the engine. Any ideas what could be the source of the leak. I'm not very savy and haven't had a chance to crawl under to see if I can eye the source. I'm looking for a little advice on what and where to look specifically so I can be educated when I take it in to repair. The leak seems to be only when itís under pressure. It's not catastrophic but warrants repair ASAP. I don't believe it's the water pump because of the location of the drip.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 05:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Leak

If it's like mine, there's a piece of rubber hose that connects the two pipes on the back of the turbo and it's very close to the exhaust pipe. Mine blew not too long ago and it was a pain in the ass to change, but I finally managed to do it. If you have access to a rack or lift, it'll be a lot easier. I had to do it on my driveway with the car on ramps. Not a lot of room to move around. Mine was original, I guess because it had the spring type clamps on it. I reused them and have had no problems since replacing it. It's about 5 1/2 inches long. I found mine by getting under it and having the wife start it. Got a frigging eyeful of coolant, but I saw what it was. Mine had a split about 2 inches long in the center of it, towards the exhaust. I'm guessing the heat finally got to it. Cheap fix? Yes. Easy? nope
jgtidwell likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Nov 2015, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have limited access to tools. I live in a condo so, you know. I'll probably be taking it in to a mechanic. Any idea what the cost would be?
Old 11 Nov 2015, 02:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I don't really know what they'll charge you, man. If I had a lift, I could have done it in 15 minutes or less. So, with the hose, if you pay $50 or less, you'll still be getting bent over, but not as bad as if they charge you for a full hour. Keep in mind that I'm not an ASE mechanic and have never worked as one. I had 1400 hours training on engines back in 1975 and the rest I've learned on my own over the past 40+ years. Check the hourly rate where you go, and divide it by two or four. The main thing is they'll have to let that sucker cool off before doing the replacement. If not, someone better have asbestos sleeves because the exhaust will be hot and so will the coolant. If you can leave it overnight and they do it first thing in the morning, it shouldn't take long or cost all that much. After all, it's a short piece of rubber hose with 2 spring clamps. If they have spring clamp pliers, then it's a 5 minute repair.
jgtidwell likes this.

Old 11 Nov 2015, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again!
Old 11 Nov 2015, 06:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You're welcome. I just hope that's it and it goes smoothly for you.

Tags
2005 turbo gt convertible, coolant leak