PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 07:53 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 231
Default Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Do the plastic intake manifolds on the turbo engines use the same seals as the naturally aspirated engines?
I'm asking because I had to remove the cylinder head from my PT due to some leaky exhaust valves. In my FelPro gasket set, it has paper intake manifold gaskets that appear to be for the aluminum intake, but my '05 has the plastic intake. I am hoping I can get some seals for a N/A car for my turbo car.

While I am asking, did Chrysler switch from aluminum to plastic intakes on turbo cars in the 205 model year? My daughter's '05 GT has the aluminum intake and my '05 Limited Turbo Lite has the plastic one.

Also, what are the differences between the turbo lite and the GT turbo in 2005? Where does the GT's extra output come from?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 10:32 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Do the plastic intake manifolds on the turbo engines use the same seals as the naturally aspirated engines?
Dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
I'm asking because I had to remove the cylinder head from my PT due to some leaky exhaust valves. In my FelPro gasket set, it has paper intake manifold gaskets that appear to be for the aluminum intake, but my '05 has the plastic intake. I am hoping I can get some seals for a N/A car for my turbo car.

While I am asking, did Chrysler switch from aluminum to plastic intakes on turbo cars in the 205 model year? My daughter's '05 GT has the aluminum intake and my '05 Limited Turbo Lite has the plastic one.
Yes. It was a "running change" - started out with aluminum, then switched to plastic - mine has the plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Also, what are the differences between the turbo lite and the GT turbo in 2005? Where does the GT's extra output come from?
Engines are identical. The difference is in the computer that allows more boost for the GT.
myckee likes this.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 10:53 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Engines are identical. The difference is in the computer that allows more boost for the GT.
Yes and as well as the muffler. I was able to conduct some very basic experiments using a NA, Turbo Lite and GT mufflers. The most restrictive is the NA, followed by the Turbo Lite, and the most free flowing is the GT.

Installing the muffler onto the over axle pipe, with no clamp and just a fairly snug fit on all 3 mufflers tested, the NA had A LOT of restriction causing lots of gas and water to push out from that snug fit. The Turbo lite had less leakage, and the GT had none that I could see or feel. Hardly scientific, but a pretty good indication of restriction to me.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:04 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,822
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

The question about PT Cruiser model mufflers (not resonators) was specifically asked to ED PETERS retired Engineer for Chrysler and the answer was that the CFM flow rate of the mufflers were the same only the pipe size and slight internal baffling for sound quality was different.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

I am just sharing my observations. Believe what you like.

The NA muffler is considerably heavier than the other two. The GT is the lightest. I however did not bother weighing any on a scale. Again, my observations.

Perhaps without those baffles, all three the mufflers flow the same since the input and outputs are the same diameter. The addition of those baffles seems to have a drastic effect on flow, based upon my unscientific observations.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:17 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,822
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

And it is a good observation!

Naturally!

Here you go.

Make the call discuss your findings with ED!



http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oem-facts.html
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Why? Id Ed going to try to convince me that I shouldn't believe my own senses? LOL As I said, believe whatever you like. Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:33 am
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,822
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Why? Id Ed going to try to convince me that I shouldn't believe my own senses? LOL As I said, believe whatever you like. Cheers!
Most of the time I don't quote other's when responding anymore as I have grown tired of trying actually trying to inform members of facts verses fiction about PT Cruisers. In this case it is not about what you believe but the ability if one desired to obtain empirical information from an actual Engineer that was assign the Powertrain Management and development of a Chrysler corp. in Toluca Mexico where PT Cruisers were manufactured.

__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Dec 2015, 10:21 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 231
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

I'm going to answer my own question and state that yes, the upper and lower intake manifold seals for the plastic turbo intake are the same as the naturally aspirated ones. I bought some for a N/A engine and they fit like a glove.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2015, 02:47 pm
Chris_TurbosUnleashed's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 122
Default Re: Plastic Intake Manifold Seals - Turbo Same as N/A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
I'm going to answer my own question and state that yes, the upper and lower intake manifold seals for the plastic turbo intake are the same as the naturally aspirated ones. I bought some for a N/A engine and they fit like a glove.
Our first experience in ordering the o-rings for the plastic intakes was frustrating because they kept delivering the gasket for the earlier aluminum manifold. We quickly realized that the N/A gasket is the correct version for plastic intakes. Don't pay much attention to the non-turbo applications so not even sure if those gaskets would fit the N/A intake. We alerted corporate regarding the error but getting them to update this in their catalog is very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Most of the time I don't quote other's when responding anymore as I have grown tired of trying actually trying to inform members of facts verses fiction about PT Cruisers. In this case it is not about what you believe but the ability if one desired to obtain empirical information from an actual Engineer that was assign the Powertrain Management and development of a Chrysler corp. in Toluca Mexico where PT Cruisers were manufactured.

When Ed Peters spoke at our Phoenix Convention in '97 he was already retired several years. Did he go back to work at Chrysler after that to work on the PTs?

Long distance calls weren't free back in the '90s, but, Ed and I would spend hours on the phone chatting about the best combination of parts to use. It was worth every penny. Can't say enough good things about the guy. This community is extremely fortunate that Ed takes his personal time to share his past experiences with us. Most other engineers retire and go find a quiet place to hide.

Chris-TU
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________
Chris Wright-Owner
Turbos Unleashed, Inc.
Phoenix, AZ Main Office since 1997
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo PT Cruiser Upper Plastic Intake Manifold madscientistdohc Classifieds: Want To Buy 1 27 Jul 2015 08:40 am
Plastic Intake manifold replacement cleven Tech & Performance Forum 6 12 Dec 2012 07:27 pm
Plastic Intake Manifold Kit and Others?? slipstream74 Turbo Performance 21 08 Aug 2011 08:44 am
FS: Plastic Intake Manifold RedRum03 Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 0 07 Jul 2010 11:09 am
question about plastic intake manifold steve smith Turbo Performance 32 22 Mar 2006 11:23 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors