Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Fan Mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2015, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Fan Mystery

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo with a radiator cooling fan that will not come on under any circumstances (Air conditioner switched on or temp over 195). The car has no "Check Engine" light and throws no codes when scanned. The problems that I have found so far to go along with this symptom are: 1. Radiator overflow jug broken/needs replaced. 2. A/C Compressor does not appear to come on when A/C is switched on. It is rather cool weather now and if you start the car up and drive down the road it seems to do just fine, temp gauge sits right in the middle where it should be. However if you idle the car for about 15-20 mins or so temp will start to gradually climb past midway (and then I shut it off). I picked this car up looking like brand new inside and out with only 69,000 miles on it the other day from the original owner who couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either. I have been trying to figure out what could be wrong, but everything I've seen so far will give you a MIL or a code or both and I don't have either. If anyone has seen anything like this I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
Old 09 Dec 2015, 09:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Fan Mystery

I have a turbo overflow bottle for sale if you want to PM me..

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 09 Dec 2015, 11:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am attaching a link that we had helped another member here with their 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo. This will give you some information about this radiator fan that is different from the other PT Cruisers.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Rad fan update....

I would suggest checking the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the wiring going to it.

By the way you might get more responses if you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your PT Cruiser and if you can attach a picture of it.
Old 10 Dec 2015, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am having pretty much the same symptoms "ChazBOT" described in his post. I have ordered the coolant sensor as well as the A/C clutch cycling switch that "slartyblarfast" mentioned in another post here and see if that fixes the issue with the A/C compressor not engaging. Both will be here tomorrow and I will update to let everyone know what happened. You're right, I guess it is a little rude to just jump on here and ask for help without even saying hello first so: Hi everyone! I'm just an old guy living in Kansas, been here almost 3 years after moving here from Ohio. Born in VA but raised in Western New York as you might have guessed from my username (Thank you for your condolences lol). This is my 2nd PT, had a blue one in Ohio. It was one of the "Special Editions" but I can't remember which one. Sold it cause it developed a transmission fluid leak caused by a module on the outside of transmission, the part was cheap but I couldn't figure out how to get to it lol. I have attached a pic of my current PT although I'm not sure if the Mods will let me post attachments yet since I am new. Doesn't have a spoiler though like everyone else's turbo...Now I feel cheated lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My GT Turbo.jpg (100.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 10 Dec 2015, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum and, yes, my condolences go out too. For some reason I thought all of the GT's came with a spoiler. Mine has one. But on the other hand, I've seen a couple of non GT Cruisers with one, so who knows what's supposed to be what?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 02:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, sorry about late response but I had to wait for all the parts to come in. I am having some trouble trying to get the old fan out, watched a YT vid about it and it seemed pretty straightforward. Remove grill, remove rad support, remove rad support bracket, drain rad to below upper rad hose, disc upper rad hose, remove fan bolts, rock rad forward, pull out fan. Unfortunately the guy in the vid didn't appear to have an A/C condenser and oil cooler mounted in front of the rad, I cannot get enough clearance by pulling the rad forward to actually remove the old fan even though it is completely disconnected now. Has any one of you all done this repair before? What am I missing? Thanks.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 02:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest looking to see if taking out the battery and battery support plate will give you the space you need to take out the fan.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was thinking that but couldn't figure out how to actually get the battery loose. Do I need to remove the airbox to get at it?
Old 24 Dec 2015, 03:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You need to remove the air box to have access to the bolt holding the battery down.
Old 26 Dec 2015, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Merry Christmas everyone! Just wanted to update the fact that the airbox is now out, Battery out, battery tray out. Plenty of room it would seem to slide that thing out at this point. However it seems to be caught on something that I cannot see. Pouring down rain here but I threw myself down on the ground anyway just to see if I had forgotten a bolt, but no I have not. Fan moves about fairly unrestrained until I try to pull it up and out of the engine compartment, then it appears to catch itself on something on the lower right side (if you are facing the car). It is not the connector as I have already removed that, I have shined a flashlight down there but I cannot see what it could possibly be. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate them. Thanks.