PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Deal or Trouble?

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2016, 07:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Good Deal or Trouble?

Nice looking whip. I really like the wheels.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no way i just bought a 03 i fixed some parts she said it was running good when the belt went now after 500.00 in parts it still has not been any air conditioning god both lines have been replaced didn't notice all the dye on everything. man for me to due another one i think i would bye one that was running after you figure the reairs you due the price it ads up with a working guy it might take allot of weeknds oh it runs good now but just thankfull the junkyards were close bye

10 to 1 the censor on the water housing is the problem saved me allot time still noway you can find stuff but

now my new question there is oil in turbo where the fan is i had to buy new intake hose another 68.00 but where is the oil coming from
Old 24 Jun 2016, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quick update, started to tear it down and found that the timing belt is still intact. Need to check timing in case belt has stripped some teeth. Starting to wonder if there was an overheating problem as I found it has a new radiator cap and it looks like water in the radiator instead of antifreeze. Spark plugs don't show evidence of burning water and no water in the oil though. Gonna do a compression test this weekend and test the expensive fan to see if it has died.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvhp View Post
Quick update, started to tear it down and found that the timing belt is still intact. Need to check timing in case belt has stripped some teeth. Starting to wonder if there was an overheating problem as I found it has a new radiator cap and it looks like water in the radiator instead of antifreeze. Spark plugs don't show evidence of burning water and no water in the oil though. Gonna do a compression test this weekend and test the expensive fan to see if it has died.
Sounds like a good plan.
Best of luck to you.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jun 2016, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update: It looks to be in time and not a timing belt issue on this one. I did a compression check and found the following, 1-60, 2-30, 3-30 and 4-60. Looks like the head gasket is toast. This one just became a bigger project. Damn the luck!
wingman55 likes this.
Old 26 Jun 2016, 09:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Look at this as an opportunity to tear down, inspect and then put together correctly knowing that you did it. And having the confidence that the top end will last another 100k miles.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PTC's are a PITA to work on, but PTC Turbos really suck to work on. Everything is jammed in there with no room to work. Very slow progress today, but I hope to have the head off tomorrow.
Fk5, 044400 and uncomn like this.
Old 01 Jul 2016, 06:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Hang in there with it. Once you get it fixed, you're going to LOVE that turbo kick in the ass!
044400 and uncomn like this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 01 Jul 2016, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvhp View Post
Update: It looks to be in time and not a timing belt issue on this one. I did a compression check and found the following, 1-60, 2-30, 3-30 and 4-60. Looks like the head gasket is toast. This one just became a bigger project. Damn the luck!
I know its a little late to be asking this question but did you have the throttle wide open and did the 5 cycles when you were checking the engine compression? Also was the cranking over normally or slow during the compression check?
Old 01 Jul 2016, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Upper intake was removed when I did the compression check. It spun over faster than normal due to low compression. It was a familiar sound as I have done many head gaskets over the years. I will keep providing updates as long as everyone wants them.