PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Deal or Trouble?

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Nov 2016, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Good Deal or Trouble?

I can tell you that I won't make that mistake again on my next head gasket repair. Today, I wrapped up putting it all back together and took it for a test drive. Gotta like the acceleration of the GT over the standard PTC. Now on to the all the crap that was wrong with the car that the PO didn't tell me about. Things like a rattle in the rear suspension, broken PCV valve, bad muffler and what sounds like a bad front wheel bearing. Should be a nice PTGT when I am done.
wingman55 and 044400 like this.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 07:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Good Deal or Trouble?

Way past time for an update. Once I got the PTGT running, I was faced with all kinds of maintenance items that needed to be replaced before this thing was ready to be a driver. Broken pipe at the muffler, bad watts link, bad rear shocks, bad front sway bar bushings, both front wheel bearings were bad, bad radiator, bad CMPS sensor and a bad NVLD sensor. Whew!!!! It does run pretty good now and has become my daily driver. Looking to do some performance upgrades in the near future!
dougs and 044400 like this.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 07:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

DANG, a year and a half later and you got yourself a good runner!

I did the same last year, notice my screen name. I paid $400 for a turbo car that needed a head gasket (among many other things too). A year later and 20K trouble free happy miles made it worth it.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

More updates. Have really enjoyed the PTGT, but it has now developed a couple of issues. First one is the oil pressure idiot light. The colder it gets that more this happens on cold starts where the light comes on and stays on, but if you shut it off and restart the light goes out and never comes back on. Weird because there is nothing wrong with the oil level or pressure. I have also developed on exhaust leak up near the engine that I suspect is the flex joint in the exhaust before the cat. You can hear it and smell exhaust. What have you guys done to to fix these issues on your PTGT's?