PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Deal or Trouble?

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Good Deal or Trouble?

I am looking at an 03 GT turbo that needs some work. Car looks to be in decent shape, but is missing a few parts. Long story, don't ask. It is missing the valve cover and upper intake. Would either of those be hard to find? Besides the fan, what are other issues should I be aware of before I pull the trigger and buy it? It ran before they started to tear it down for a timing belt replacement. Has 130K on it. What would be a good price to offer?
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Good Deal or Trouble?

one question: how much work can you do on it?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

It would be the 3rd PTC I have owned. Just never had a turbo model and thought I would reach out to get some advice before pulling the trigger. Do all my own work and I am pretty good at spinning wrenches.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

i would pass on any car that had no valve cover unless you were planning to pull the motor and go through it. i put a rod through a motor that had a temporarily missing valve cover and i believe the cause was one of those maple tree helicopter seeds. another thought is anyone that let the timing belt wait to 130k probably neglected a lot of other junk too. soon as you get it running you'll likely be replacing all the normal PT stuff and you're also gambling that the transmission is good. they probably neglected to maintain that as well.

i would not pay more than $2-250 tops for that car and that's assuming the body was mint. it's not like they can sell it how it sits so this is a realistic offer. they're probably selling it because it's in the way.

i just passed on two PT's one needed a radiator and a headgasket, but was mint, one was a little more beat up. said it just died out and was towed back to their house and the timing belt was good. i got the guy to $400 total for both but decided i still didn't want them.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^+1 to what "rob342" said!

IMO you're better off passing on this car and putting together what money you would have to spend on the engine work and missing parts, and finding a PT in much better running condition, with maybe just a little work needed, instead of a major overhaul like the one your looking at will require.

Or if the body and interior on this one is in mint condition, then maybe it might be worth it, but for not very much, and then buy an engine that is already rebuilt to put into it?

On the other hand, this could end up being one of those "barn finds" you always hear about! Put a few hundred $'s into a vehicle that someone else knew nothing about what was needed, and you may end up with a PT that will give you years of enjoyment!

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Jan 2016 at 09:56 am.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

$500.00

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvhp View Post
I am looking at an 03 GT turbo that needs some work. Car looks to be in decent shape, but is missing a few parts. Long story, don't ask. It is missing the valve cover and upper intake. Would either of those be hard to find? Besides the fan, what are other issues should I be aware of before I pull the trigger and buy it? It ran before they started to tear it down for a timing belt replacement. Has 130K on it. What would be a good price to offer?
I agree with Rob that there might be a lot more wrong with this PT than you know. However, if you trust the seller, can do the work yourself and you can get the car "DIRT CHEAP" then it might not be a bad deal. But if it was me, I'd be sure a didn't pay more for the car than I'd be willing to lose if fixing it became too costly due to unknown issues.

I have a turbo valve cover for sell right now in the For Sale section of this forum. And if you want it, I can likely also get you the upper part of the intake manifold for the additional cost of whatever is cost me; probably around $40 extra.

Also, if you get your parts for the timing belt job online, expect to spend at least $300 including the fluids and extra gaskets you will need if nothing else is missing and if there are no other problems. Busted_PT has a great thread on how to do the timing belt. It has good photos and makes it much easier.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jan 2016 at 09:55 am.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

All great thoughts guys and just the info I was looking to get. The story goes like this. Car runs great, but was over due for a timing belt. The owner starts to pull it apart to do the belt, but the landlord of the garage he is working in locks him out of the building. Not sure why? Seller has the car, but parts were in the shop and the landlord won't let him retrieve the parts. Current asking price is $900. Car looks nice, but without hearing it run I am not inclined to pay more than $400 to $500 for it only because it is clean.
Right now I am driving a sweet loaded 2001 PTC that I picked up for $300 that had an engine problem. Turns out the shop that replaced the timing belt at 90K didn't change the tensioner or idler pulley. Idler pulley dies 30K later and tears up the timing belt. I replaced all the timing components and seals, fixed bad wiring on the crankshaft position sensor and replaced the fan. $550 total in this PTC and now I have a nice ride.
Was just thinking about buying the PTC turbo to add to the fun factor. Turbos are cool!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you have the money and want the car go ahead and take a chance. If the body and interior are really nice and the motor deal works out you'll be in cheap and TURBO is really fun!
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Reading your information in your first post here on this thread... my thoughts are still a good deal at $500.00

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN