Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark Plug Check Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2004, 12:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Spark Plug Check Time

We have had this conversation, and it has always ended......to be continued.

Known Facts:

Platinum is great for jewlery, not for turbos.

Same old, same old still works, but not spectacularly.

NGK Iridium did not have the appropriate housing yet (has this changed?)

Does someone make a superior quality copper core that is race proven?

The secrets of life seem to elude the inquisitive spirit.[8)]
Old 27 May 2004, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

I have seen NGK for the turbo PT's somehwere. I'll have to find it, but they are in circulation. For copper...factory is best. That's how the manufacturer built and tested the engines, and those are the best they found, not like other stuff where lowest bidder wins the contract. Champion is what I would go with. Just don't forget a new intake gasket and a 2x4 to stick under the intake so you don't have to disconnect all the vacuum, sensors and throttle linkages.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 27 May 2004, 12:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigtommy83

Just don't forget a new intake gasket and a 2x4 to stick under the intake so you don't have to disconnect all the vacuum, sensors and throttle linkages.
You shouldn't have to remove the intake on a turbo to do plugs. I pulled and regapped mine with no problem.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 May 2004, 05:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I now have 22K miles on mine! Is it regap plug time or throw out old put in new? Exept for the gas mileage being just 18 to 24 mpg, I have no reasons to suspect plug problems and I will throw them away at 30,000. Is this good enough or do I need to regap now??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 28 May 2004, 12:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

I now have 22K miles on mine! Is it regap plug time or throw out old put in new? Exept for the gas mileage being just 18 to 24 mpg, I have no reasons to suspect plug problems and I will throw them away at 30,000. Is this good enough or do I need to regap now??
If you are going to remove the plug then replace it. Once the seal ring is crushed it will not seal properly, most likely loosen up. Champion has been supplying spark plugs for MoPar before I was born. In all my dealings with my own MoPar muscle cars, daily drivers and customers cars(when I turned wrenches for Chrysler) I have not had any luck with anything but Champion. They are not expensive/exotic crap, they just seem to work with MoPar engines. Annnd, I have never had any luck with platinums in any MoPar engine, ever. with the turbo engine I would replace at 15K. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 28 May 2004, 12:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:

Steel

If they are "working right" then why throw them away? Anyway, I'd regap em and put a little "grease" around the threads. Also, when changing them remove the sensor which is right above the 2nd plug from your left.

m~

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 29 May 2004, 12:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm approaching 30K and the little PT has purred from day one, I just want to do the right thing if I take the time to do it.[8)]
Old 29 May 2004, 02:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

The maintenence schedule calls for spark plug replacement at 30k miles. If you aren't having any problems now, you can either just wait the 8k miles then change them or change them now. I would suggest replacing the OEM Spark Plug wires while you are at it. IMHO, the problem with regapping is that at that mileage, there may be a lot of wear on each spark plug and you may not be able to file/straighten out any wear problems without causing a possible problem later (sharp edges may become a hot spot, not good for a turbo engine). Changing spark plugs on the turbo is a lot easier than the n/a engine, you don't have to remove the manifold and besides, installing/buying new spark plugs is easy on the pocket and better than trying to save/reuse the old ones.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to macster

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kirby

I'm approaching 30K and the little PT has purred from day one, I just want to do the right thing if I take the time to do it.[8)]
Hmmm

Okay!

Uhhh, a group of us RK, Tezz, etc are going to the Fontanna Race Track today (5/29/2004). We are going to meet at 1:30pm, at the ARCO AM/PM on the NW corner of Valley and Central. Come on out and lets check those spark plugs.

m~

Patriot Blue PTGT, Stage1, K&N Typhoon, 2.5\" Cat back exhaust, Sun Hyperground, Sun HOT INZAMA Hyper Voltage system, Adams Uppipe
Old 29 May 2004, 02:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:macster Posted - 05/29/2004 : 10:03:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhhh, a group of us RK, Tezz, etc are going to the Fontanna Race Track today (5/29/2004). We are going to meet at 1:30pm, at the ARCO AM/PM on the NW corner of Valley and Central. Come on out and lets check those spark plugs.
That's at Valley and Cherry, not Central