Advertisements
Just put in my Stage One ECU, now I have a whistle under boost

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Moparman440

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2016, 04:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Just put in my Stage One ECU, now I have a whistle under boost

Thanks to FWD Performance, I am the newest member of the Stage One Club. The mailman delivered my ECU last night. I put it on today, and I do enjoy the newfound power, but it makes a whistling sound under boost. Not all the time, but if I am doing 45-50 in 4th gear and then suddenly snap the throttle wide open so that it downshifts into 2nd, it will whistle until I let up on the throttle.

I'm thinking that the increased boost pressure is causing a leak somewhere. Where should I look first?
Old 09 Feb 2016, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just put in my Stage One ECU, now I have a whistle under boost

The Stage 1 by itself will not create new noises.
The increase in boost level created by your Turbo Charger may be a new noise to you that you are not familiar with??

You really should either test your intake system and/or get a OBDII scanning device to see how your boost psi are relating to the new stage 1.

In order to get a better DELTA naturally you really should re-install the stock PCM connect your scan device and make some notes of the stock operating perimeters. Then install your STAGE 1 and do the same information gathering.

But if you did not first do what was suggested in this thread I have supped the link to below you may have more difficult time solving any new or already existing issue that may have increased with the installation of the STAGE 1 PCM

Check out this thread.

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts
Old 10 Feb 2016, 02:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

It sounds like a tea kettle boiling. I need to get under there and snug up the connections, I guess.

I have been meaning to do a compression test since I had the head rebuilt, but the Stage One came in more quickly than stated and caught me off guard.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
It sounds like a tea kettle boiling. I need to get under there and snug up the connections, I guess.

I have been meaning to do a compression test since I had the head rebuilt, but the Stage One came in more quickly than stated and caught me off guard.
I was suggesting in my first response to do a Intake Pressure Testing.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 04:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Nitro! I was not aware that there were intake pressure testers. I can make or buy one and find that leak for sure.