Default Steering Heavy and intake cover of GT TURBO lite

Hi new here trying to adsorbed a little before I purchase
My first Pt Cruiser
I have my eye on a 05 GT TURBO(lite) A/T
One owner
95,000 northwest car
With sport suspension
From a Dealer
1....when I drive the car the steering feels heavy while steering checked fluid ok
No noticeable clunking noises from suspension
2....no check Eng light I suspect
Dealer could clear these easy before anyone looks at car daily or anytime with a scaner
Things I noticed.....
No noticeable wear around drivers door or sill
Got the car fax and it seems ligit...
Price is a tad high
Could not verified T-Belt service
Would post picture not sure
I have enough post to be ok,d?
Any feedback would be much opreacated
Thanks.....W
And would like to add I have other turbo cars
And read somewere the the PTC has a cover on the
Intake to quiet the Whinn from turbo
Is this true?
And no factory boost gage/light in the PTC?

Again opoligize for the spelling if you missed my first post
It's bad Prolly not going to improve.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Steering Heavy and intake cover of GT TURBO lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchnIswhatIdo View Post
I have my eye on a 05 GT TURBO(lite) A/T

It is either a GT or a Turbo Lite, can't be both.
On rear hatch, what do badges say?
GT always came with 17" wheels, needs Premium gas, has the autostick, and puts out more power.
The turbo Lite will be a Limited Edition, and only needs regular gasoline.

The hard steering COULD be something as simple as low tire pressure.
myckee likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Feb 2016, 10:50 am
Senior Cruiser

It is hard to know what you consider to be heavy steering, but many Automatic turbo PTs have "firm feel" steering. If you are comparing the power steering to other cars where the steering can be turned by a pinky finger, then yes, the 'firm feel' steering in some Turbo PT's will feel heavy. All of the manual GT PT's I have come across have the normal easier power steering to which one might be more accustomed. Presumably because it will be easier to control when one hand is on the shifter.

That is not to say that there isn't something wrong with the car you are looking at, but just giving you a heads up.

None of the turbo PTs have a boost gauge.

The 05 and up turbo PTs have the 'plastic' intake with a clip on plastic cover which sandwiches a piece of foam between the two to control noise. If the cover and foam are missing, its not a big deal. The smooth cover just looks more attractive than the ribbed intake. Many people take out the foam anyway because they like the sound and the foam traps heat.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 09:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes you are correct it is a "L,E ".not a "GT"
Regular gas 180hp. It has some gety up
Non leather seats
About the steering your probably right on the money. Being this is the only PTC I've driven the "Heavy" feel is my inexperience
16" tires looked good but without a gage I could not tell if underinflated
I personally like the turbo Whinn
If not the sound at the least a little green light that tells me when the turbo is boosting....but not a deal breaker
I'm guessing in the stock form a 2.4 ltr "Turbo lite"
Max boost around 7-9 lb
And the power band is 4000-6500rpm?

First three digits of VIN. 3C8
......thanks. for the input...... W
Old 11 Feb 2016, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If intake is aluminum. There is no cover. one other thing. GT is recommended to use premium. Not required. That is stated inside the fuel door. If the tires don't look noticeably low. You may have and issue.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 11 Feb 2016 at 10:15 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

I thought turbo lite had a 120 mph speedometers and the GT's got 140 mph ones. Isn't that a way you can also tell them apart?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I thought turbo lite had a 120 mph speedometers and the GT's got 140 mph ones. Isn't that a way you can also tell them apart?
You are correct. He has the lite!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Feb 2016, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Was there supposedly an actual option for "firm feel" steering? I can't imagine Dad would have skipped that if it were offered when he bought his '03 GT. I don't find ours heavy at all. It is a manual trans car, but I can't see what difference that makes. People ordering an automatic are the ones probably looking for the extra assist.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Was there supposedly an actual option for "firm feel" steering? I can't imagine Dad would have skipped that if it were offered when he bought his '03 GT. I don't find ours heavy at all. It is a manual trans car, but I can't see what difference that makes. People ordering an automatic are the ones probably looking for the extra assist.
No.
The PS on the car he's looking at may have a problem

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2016, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
No.
The PS on the car he's looking at may have a problem
I am sorry, but that is incorrect Don. The sales code SBA is the code on the PT's build sheet for a 'standard' power steering rack. SBB is the code for the "firm feel' power steering rack.

If you go to your local dealer and give them your VIN, they can tell you which your car has. Alternatively there are a few online places that will display the build list for your car for a small fee.

I currently own THREE 2003 PT GTs, all manual transmissions, and all are standard power steering (SBA) cars. My sister has an 03 GT but with an automatic trans, and she has the firm feel steering (SBB) and it is noticeably heavier feeling than any of my manual cars.

Two of my three manual cars are Dream cruisers, which would be the most highly optioned cars available in that year, yet both have SBA racks. I suspect that the default rack for manual cars is the SBA standard rack. Inductive reasoning leads me to believe that since there will be times when you need to steer with one hand only due to shifting the trans, they use the SBA standard rack. Since automatic cars don't necessarily require one hand to be on the shifter, so both can be on the wheel, that it would be standard for auto cars to have the firm rack. I would further reason that this is customisable if you were to custom order/build a car. Without knowing all of the sales codes, it would be easy for someone special ordering a car to overlook that.