PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
boost control/engine management

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2016, 11:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default boost control/engine management

Why is it that over in the srt4 community it's perfectly normal to get rid of a bunch of stock vacuum lines, bypass the stock boost control solenoid, add a boost controller for 15-17 psi on stock tune and be fine, but over here it's absolutely advised against doing so without some sort of engine management.

This leads me to my other question, what is a good but not too expensive route for engine management? Something not too complicated, I just want 17 psi on my stock turbo/motor and I don't believe that is too much to ask for. I found a stage 1 pcm and deatschwerks 750 injectors with fuel rail locally from an srt4. Would that be compatible with my dream cruiser? If so, how do I go about flashing the pcm for my cruiser? What Would the stage 1 do? No boost controller needed with stage 1 right?

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 04 Mar 2016 at 11:36 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2016, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: boost control/engine management

Here's a general overview of the subject. Others will likely chime in with more details and some strong and loud opinions.

First, almost all of the members that attempted to competitively race their PT Cruisers are gone from our forum. If you look at older performance threads, you will find many where mechanical boost control was used. But today, the few current members into performance prefer the original electronic controls. I think there's one current member that posts now and then that uses a mechanical boost control. Since there's no real competitive racing here, electronic control is much easier for those wanting to increase performance. And the strongest opinions here will say it just as good or better.

Through programming within the PCM, boost control is most often modified by one of two ways. For the GT, Mopar made the Stage 1 PCM which gives a modicum of increased boost along with other performance programming. There's also versions of the Stage 1 PCM available for the non-GT "turbo lite" PT's. The other method is with a hand held tuner that flashes a performance tune into the existing PCM. Besides the "canned tunes" they come with, most of these tuners allow custom tuning.

The most prominent of these are made by DiabloSport. These are only intended to work on GT PT's but are reported to work on turbo lites that have a Stage 1 PCM already installed. However, there is a company that makes a hand held tuner that can be made to work on most PT's and is reported to have more advanced features. This company is Syked ECM Tuning. The owner is a member here.

There's also direct CMR tuning of the OEM PCM. But even pro tuning folks often tune cars through a DiabloSport or other hand held tuner. It saves them from having to have the expensive equipment and subscriptions. And it allows the owner to make their own further tweaks if they desire. For advanced tuning of the PT, I highly recommend talking to Kevin at Syked ECM Tuning. Kevin (Sykes) Bonnet has posted a contact number here on the open forum for members to call. It's 253-880-5612.

Also, there's nothing wrong with getting your information from the SRT4 and Turbo Dodge forums. I believe members here on this forum have always done this. Some of the threads and a few members on those forums have helped me out several times. Good luck in your endeavors.
cloudhidd3n likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Mar 2016 at 10:46 am.
Old 05 Mar 2016, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Simple answer...there is bad ways of dong things and better ways. SRT forum do not nessisarily have better ways.

I am on many of those t other forums Chrysler and other and most of the time "we" read them for entertainment purposes and....

As for members on this forum using manual boost control.. well..lol there is at least 2 that have the devise installed, but have long since stopped using it. Maybe they are tired of going into "limp" mode?

What does Forest Gump say... "stupid is as.......: lol
cloudhidd3n likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reading other none PT Cruiser forums for advise having to do with PT Cruisers.

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cloudhidd3n likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Mar 2016, 01:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

thanks fellas, which Diablo Sport tuner version should I buy? How is it installed and does it work on stock 2003 ecm and injectors?
Old 05 Mar 2016, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My personal preference and I recommend the Trinity.
Simple device to use. You really should go to their website and also the Diablo Sport Forum

https://www.diablosport.com/products...ion-chart.html
Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 2.4L Turbo 2003-2006
cloudhidd3n likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Mar 2016, 02:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

K so I buy the trinity, plug it in through the obd2 port, select the 93 tune and that's it? I won't ever need to bother with a stage 1 pcm? What if I get bigger injectors later, and upgrade to a larger turbo, even rebuild the engine later on, how far can I take this dsp trinity? Is it the last engine management device I'll need? Can it manually adjust fuel? Thanks you for the answers!
Old 09 Mar 2016, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post
K so I buy the trinity, plug it in through the obd2 port, select the 93 tune and that's it? I won't ever need to bother with a stage 1 pcm? What if I get bigger injectors later, and upgrade to a larger turbo, even rebuild the engine later on, how far can I take this dsp trinity? Is it the last engine management device I'll need? Can it manually adjust fuel? Thanks you for the answers!
If all is to spec's you should at least be close to the 180 hp mark??
If you get 200-230 hp at the wheel with DST you will be doing very well!

The DST with a CMR is completely calibratable in all aspects of the PCM with the exception of the TCM.

BUT.................
If you really plan on building a short block to support 400+hp....

If you plane to use larger than 550cc injectors.......

If you plan to use a larger Turbo Charger......

....than this forum is not for you for advise and to simply post your project. You will have entered a world that you become the supplier of information and recommendation based on your experience.

As far as I can see a PT Cruiser will never be a good candidate for a Road Track competitor nor will it really be very good on the 1/4 once you start to get into the 11's.

BTW a 12 second 1/4 ride in a street driven PT Cruiser is very respectable and not that difficult to achieve. Higher power output only creates problems and really does not necessarily make for a quicker Cruiser. If you feel that you need to go quicker than 12, use direct port foggers and hope the engine stays together.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Mar 2016, 03:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

180hp? Um I though we're 215 stock? What's the big fuss, if an srt4 can do it why not us?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 09 Mar 2016 at 03:54 pm.
Old 09 Mar 2016, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post
180hp? Um I though we're 215 stock? What's the big fuss, if an srt4 can do it why not us?
I think he means at the wheels.

180 to the wheels should be about right for an auto in stock but good condition, maybe a bit better for a 5 speed based on driveline losses.

Last edited by Fk5; 09 Mar 2016 at 04:30 pm.