Advertisements
Part Recommendations

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2016, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Part Recommendations

Okay, it looks like I am going to have to pull the trigger on some parts for my repairs. I would like to ask the voice(s) of experience about brand names and suggestions:

Radiator: I thought I read the turbo an NA radiators were different, but I can't tell how. I also don't know if mine still has a turbo rad since it was changed in June 2014. I have seen that some (Rob with the Mustang) have had success with the ultra-cheapies from rock auto. Any pros/cons? Are there any that don't have plastic tanks crimped on to the metal core? Both of mine have leaked at the crimp. I thought Spectre was one of the cheapies, but they are $107.

Intake gasket sets: My car has the aluminum intake. Rock Auto has three sets, DNJ for $4, Fel-Pro for $4 and Victor Reinz paper for $5. Is any preferable? Is there a better place to get them? Any tips for install?

Alternator belt? I would have assumed any name brand was okay - Gates, Delco, Continental, Goodyear, Delco. The prices seem all over the map though. I never of Bando, but they have the same part number as Contitech which I would have thought was Continental. I would usually have faith in myself on this one, but since I am asking the other questions and I think somebody posted that they had problems with some cheap autozone belts I figured I would add it to the list.

Also have to order a set of Booger Bushings. The engine side shifter bushings no longer exist.

I am not as concerned about warranty as I am about quality. The parts are cheap enough, but I don't want to have to do these jobs twice. (Three times in the case of the rad)
Old 21 Mar 2016, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Part Recommendations

On the radiator, check the Advance Auto website and use the TRT41 discount code if it's over $100. There's more codes here if it starts out less than $100. But with antifreeze and other stuff you will need, it likely will be. This may well be cheaper than RockAuto because there will be no shipping cost if there's a Advance close to you.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/adva....com?c=4342826

For belts, I like the Gates blue racing belts. See the numbers for a 2005 GT in the photo below:

For the gaskets, check the price on RockAuto for a Felpro full head set. You likely need a valve cover gasket too. And I found that the entire head set was cheaper to get both intake and valve cover gaskets. Plus you get other goodies as well. And I prefer Felpro gaskets.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 05:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Part Recommendations

When your installing the radiator make sure it fits flush with its mounting on the car. Sometimes a little bump is enough to push back the radiator mounting frame enough to knock it out of plumb. When you tighten the attaching bolts you twist the radiator causing premature failure at the crimped ends.
Fk5 likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh