PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Intake Problems?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2016, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Intake Problems?

Hi guys! I am a new member, and I just bought a used 2003 Cruiser with a turbo. I need to replace a lot of things; however, I want to start with this first. Please see the picture if you can help me identify what these parts are! I am a noob, and I hope to learn more!

There is some plastic falling apart on one of the pipes coming out of the air intake? I was looking at the lid (which is not even secure onto it) and noticed it. I also noticed two pipes not connected to anything that comes off the pipes. I do not make sense because I have no clue what these parts are! I will soon!

Can anyone tell me what these are and where the other two pipes are supposed to connect to? Any help will be greatly appreciated! I have no clue on what to even type in Google!

My pictures are too large to upload. I have put them on this page on my website: PT Cruiser Pics | Fred H Garner

Thank you for any suggestions!
Old 01 Apr 2016, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Intake Problems?

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Apr 2016, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!
Old 02 Apr 2016, 05:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Welcome to the forum, Fred. I also have an 03 GT. It's been raining here most of the day, so I've been working on some bicycles. I'll go out tomorrow and look at mine and see about comparing to what you have posted. They are vacuum lines, from what I can tell. There should be a connection on your power brake booster that they'll plug in to. I'll grab some photos of mine and post them tomorrow so you can compare. How many miles are on yours and has it ever had a timing belt change? Give us some details, man. Looking at that smaller vacuum hose, I THINK it's the one that attaches to a small fitting there on the air intake hose. Does the PT even run?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 02 Apr 2016 at 05:55 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Chuzz! Thank you! I was sitting here looking at other pics of engines, and it does look like that smaller line goes into the intake. I just got this Cruiser. I needed something to get back and forth from work. I absolutely LOVE this beauty!

It is a 2003 GT Turbo with over 160K on it. I am not sure what the previous owner had done to it (I wish I did...). I am hoping I can fix it up to par. It drives just fine, except there was a little knock sound from the front drivers side. That is when I saw these hoses. I hope they are the problem! I want to repair them as soon as I can.

I think you are absolutely right about the smaller one. The other one is connected to the intake (the one pic where the black rubber is falling apart), and the end of it goes nowhere like in the last pic. The smaller one is not even connected. The other one has that crazy looking, double spark plug wire, brown, flat thing on it. I have no idea what it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 02:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Fred, in the first picture, the loose end on that 3/8 hose should attach to a nipple under the large hose that runs to the air box. You have another hose that is about 3/8 diameter that goes to a nipple off the turbo and will be under the large air hose from the air box. It looks like there are two loose vacuum hoses too. The smaller one attaches to the green check valve in your picture and the larger one goes somewhere behind the bundle on the firewall. BUT, both need to be attached to the piece that has one 3/8 hose and the two smaller connections. I THINK the other ends are attached, buy looking at your pictures. You need to pull the frigging air box out and look and see if the hose from your valve cover to a nipple on it is connected too. For some reason I can't get the pictures to load. If none of this makes sense, let me know and I'll try to get my daughter to help me with the pictures later.

Old 04 Apr 2016, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Chuzz! I updated the pictures of what it looks like now. I took that flat piece, and I replaced the attachment to the intake. There are two other hoses connecting to the middle of it. I then connected the two ends. It looks like three hoses are supposed to be attached to the intake, and this flat piece is basically a splitter. What do you think?

I added another gallery to this page: PT Cruiser Pics | Fred H Garner Thank you!
Old 04 Apr 2016, 10:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

I don't have a turbo, but in pic 5...that might be too much of a kink...it all depends what that vacuum line goes to. JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Apr 2016, 05:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Fred, here are 4 pictures of what mine looks like under the hood right now. The small hose with the worm clamp goes to the nipple on the air box. I DON'T think you've quite got yours connected the way mine are. Note that the Orange colored vacuum hose goes to the turbo.

picture share

image upload

image hosting over 5mb

image hosting 12mb

Old 04 Apr 2016, 06:06 pm
Banned

Good informitive pics, but a max of 640 x appr. 480 is a more appropriate size. That way we're not constantly scrolling back and forth to read the text and/or see the complete pictures.

Jerry
NitroPT likes this.