• 2 Post By FlyinPurplePeopleEater
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default couple GT questions for the guru's -- 05 GT HO 5 spd

couple GT newb questions for you guru's- 2005 PT GT high output 5 speed
easy questions first, then they get a little more complicated yes i googled and searched here, either didnt find answers or didnt find solid answers... so here we go;

is there a difference between the 2.4 turbo and the 2.4 turbo high output? i just noticed some of the PT turbos have just turbo on the back, but mine actually says high output under that. mine has the composite intake, so i know that's a plus. is there a way to see if the pcm is a stage 1 without removing it? from what ive seen it looks like the tag on the back side is where its printed with stage 1.

how can i get the most turbo spooling volume under all pedal conditions? i know that seems ricer/nerd but i absolutely love a good loud spool with a subtle bov, I'm not a kid anymore, don't need the loudest bov in the drivethru . my 7.3 f250 spools under all pedal and i love it every second i hear it. but the pt is quiet as a mouse. would love to hear it at all times if possible. im assuming all metal intake/intercooler pipping which I'm all for, so if anyone has any links for kits ;-) i did find a bit on removing the muffler since its just a clamp and straight pipping it. owner was very happy with the super cheap mod. so ill be doing that, but any more suggestions are welcome :-)

will SRT based aftermarket engine parts work on this GT? ive done a decent amount of googleing and cant get solid answers, most yes/no/maybe/but.... im talking about aftermarket and stock stuff like turbos, injectors and fuel rails/systems, pipping kits (EX&IN), turbo timers, Blow off valves/wastegate parts (if equipped), gauges, valve cover, , better pistons/rods/cams/head studs/head gaskets etc... i know the intake and intake mani are different, but could that be bolted up? (i am aware of the clearance issue)

ive seen one owner post that he ported out the stock turbo and fit a bigger 16g wheel, is this the only avenue or are there aftermarket impeller wheels that can be installed? im referring to something like a WikedWheel in the 7.3 powerstrokes. very simple, cheap and quick turbo upgrade.

strut replacement suggestions?? will be looking to lower the car with the tein kit. 2" rear drop, 1.3" front drop. anyone have experience with this kit? yay or nay? how rough does the ride become?? just very much like the looks

Last edited by bricks4584; 04 Apr 2016 at 12:36 am.
Old 04 Apr 2016, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: couple GT questions for the guru's -- 05 GT HO 5 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks4584 View Post
couple GT newb questions

is there a difference between the 2.4 turbo and the 2.4 turbo high output? i just noticed some of the PT turbos have just turbo on the back, but mine actually says high output under that. mine has the composite intake, so i know that's a plus.
Can't answer all, but I can speak to the 2 PT turbos.
The PT turbo came out for the 2003 model year in the GT model. The badge just says 2.4 Liter Turbo. Put out 215 HP. The recommended fuel is premium,
In 2004, they came out with an additional turbo - mechanically identical, it has a different engine computer and only needs regular gas, and puts out 180 HP.
Easy way to tell - ALL GT models have "HIGH OUTPUT" turbos, whether badge says so or not. All turbos not in a GT model are the "turbo Lite" that runs fine on regular fuel, and badge doesn't say "High Output".
ptprice likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 04 Apr 2016 at 09:27 am.
Old 04 Apr 2016, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks4584 View Post
couple GT newb questions for you guru's- 2005 PT GT high output 5 speed
easy questions first, then they get a little more complicated yes i googled and searched here, either didnt find answers or didnt find solid answers... so here we go;

is there a difference between the 2.4 turbo and the 2.4 turbo high output? i just noticed some of the PT turbos have just turbo on the back, but mine actually says high output under that. mine has the composite intake, so i know that's a plus. is there a way to see if the pcm is a stage 1 without removing it? from what ive seen it looks like the tag on the back side is where its printed with stage 1.

how can i get the most turbo spooling volume under all pedal conditions? i know that seems ricer/nerd but i absolutely love a good loud spool with a subtle bov, I'm not a kid anymore, don't need the loudest bov in the drivethru . my 7.3 f250 spools under all pedal and i love it every second i hear it. but the pt is quiet as a mouse. would love to hear it at all times if possible. im assuming all metal intake/intercooler pipping which I'm all for, so if anyone has any links for kits ;-) i did find a bit on removing the muffler since its just a clamp and straight pipping it. owner was very happy with the super cheap mod. so ill be doing that, but any more suggestions are welcome :-)

will SRT based aftermarket engine parts work on this GT? ive done a decent amount of googleing and cant get solid answers, most yes/no/maybe/but.... im talking about aftermarket and stock stuff like turbos, injectors and fuel rails/systems, pipping kits (EX&IN), turbo timers, Blow off valves/wastegate parts (if equipped), gauges, valve cover, , better pistons/rods/cams/head studs/head gaskets etc... i know the intake and intake mani are different, but could that be bolted up? (i am aware of the clearance issue)

ive seen one owner post that he ported out the stock turbo and fit a bigger 16g wheel, is this the only avenue or are there aftermarket impeller wheels that can be installed? im referring to something like a WikedWheel in the 7.3 powerstrokes. very simple, cheap and quick turbo upgrade.

strut replacement suggestions?? will be looking to lower the car with the tein kit. 2" rear drop, 1.3" front drop. anyone have experience with this kit? yay or nay? how rough does the ride become?? just very much like the looks
Here's a primer. Others with more interest in this area will likely have more detailed information.

1. As well described above, PT turbo engines are the same mechanically. The high output engine is only tuned differently via the PCM.

2. I don't have an interest in anything past street performance. None of the other current regular members race competitively in a PT. But two or three have some knowledge in this area. I believe you will find the most information in the older performance threads in this forum and over on the SRT4 and PTCrew forums. Again, older threads seem to be better since that's when owners spent more money on their cars.

3. The turbo PT engine is the SRT4 engine. The manifolds and accessories are just different. Internals are the same. There are older threads where engines out of SRT4 Neons and/or SRT4 manifolds have been used in PT Cruisers. However, some modification has been required for the manifolds. To be exactly, almost all references to competitive PT Cruisers that I've found depend almost solely on SRT4 performance parts. If you go to online sources for SRT4 performance parts such as Darrell Cox Racing, Modern Performance and Syked ECM Tuning, you will often find the same items offered for the PT Cruiser.

4. I have no information on using a different turbo. For street performance, there's plenty of room with the OEM turbo for increased boost via tuning.

5. There's lots of threads on this forum about lowering springs and shocks. Just search the forum and you should find all the answers you need on this one. Several current members have experience with this as well.

Beyond this, please post photos and updates of your modifications. Since very few posts here about actually doing these mods anymore, the current members often just debate about it. It would be good to see someone actually doing these heavier performance mods and posting about it.
ptprice likes this.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 09:52 am
Regular Cruiser

H/O vs not H/O is as explained by quicksilverdon. If you have a GT and a 5-spd you are golden.

The composite vs aluminum intake has been a debate over the years, Nitro knows the best answer on that topic but I can tell you that you can port the aluminum one and not the composite one.

Stage 1 PCM's have a sticker on them that will say Stage 1. Google image search to find out where cause I can't remember off of the top of my head.

If you want the best turbo spool under all pedal conditions snag a 3" O2 housing and a 3" downpipe with an electric cutout that you can flip open and closed. The larger exhaust pipe diameter will give you the noise and if you really want to be loud you can flip a switch and open your exhaust to just dump right out of the downpipe, that will really let you hear it spool, trust me. I personally bought an Ebay O2 housing and downpipe and then purchased a Badlanz HPE cutout. I can post pictures of where I have the switch mounted also.

Intercooler piping I actually just posted about, AMX - Needswings makes the upper and lower hard pipe upgrades, I use to find them on Ebay but I can't anymore. Turboneonstore sells a charge pipe upgrade that can be used on the PT GT also although it won't specifically say that.

As far as aftermarket parts goes anything will fit between the two EXCEPT certain intercooler piping, certain turbo parts, and pretty much all suspension stuff. There's a lot more than just that but as you know the similarities between the two cars is in solely the motor and PCM. Fuel rails will not work as the intake mani on the PT cuts it too close to the motor. 03 and older have a schrader valve on the fuel rail unlike 04 and up which can be converted to use nitrous and other things.

As far as motor internals goes they are entirely interchangeable.

No cheap stock turbo upgrade that I know of, only route is a big wheel stocker (BWS) and you are looking at around 600-800 depending. You can also have your exhaust manifold modified to accept a stage 3/evo 8-9 turbo but again, lots of money.
ptprice and bricks4584 like this.
Old 09 Apr 2016, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

None of the other current regular members race competitively in a PT.
I would say based on all the responses I have made mentioning the numerous times down the 1/4 at Sacramento raceway...your statement is somewhat inaccurate

I suppose we can't really claim Street racing on this forum...but I would say many would also fall into the category of race competitively in a PT if we could as well.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Let's get clear on the points you asked. 03 turbos were all GT standard. 04 came the lite. As stated above. From that point all GTs were called high out put. The stage one has it's own stage 1 one badge. The plastic intake does not produce HP. MITH busted a while back. THE DIFFRENCES IN ALL THE TURBO'S IS THE PCM TUNE! Now if you want more turbo noise the bov and a not so cold intake will unmuffel the sound a bit. If you want some ponies. Get a tuning device. Best bank for the buck. Hands down. Pulse you can change the tune to suit your needs. Such Asa trip. Or just playing. The bigger turbo's not that bigger deal ounce you have a tuner. JMHO. Be careful of all that old threads here or the other places mentioned. Is much has been learned and much was not what it is portrayed. New info has ruled out much that was called upgrades.
bricks4584 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2016, 04:10 pm
Young Cruiser

I Actually cut the stock muffler off and put in a pipe. I heard the turbo a LOT more than before.

Do you need an 02 housing if you buy a 3'' downpipe from say, needswings? Or can you bolt that downpipe up to the stock pipe?