Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard starting turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2004, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hard starting turbo

Well, my '04 5-speed GT (2500 miles on the clock, 12/03 build date, K&N drop-in is the only engine mod) will not start on the first try. I turn the key and the starter just spins the motor as long as I hold the key in the start position. Then I let it stop, try again and it starts right up. I don't touch the accelerator and I'm sure that I have the clutch pedal fully depressed. I also let the system power up until all the self-checks have completed before turning the engine over.

Oh, and the hard starting only occurs first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting all night. It doesn't happen when I leave work after the car has been sitting for 8 or 9 hours.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

GG
Old 01 Jun 2004, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GGJaguar

Well, my '04 5-speed GT (2500 miles on the clock, 12/03 build date, K&N drop-in is the only engine mod) will not start on the first try. I turn the key and the starter just spins the motor as long as I hold the key in the start position. Then I let it stop, try again and it starts right up. I don't touch the accelerator and I'm sure that I have the clutch pedal fully depressed. I also let the system power up until all the self-checks have completed before turning the engine over.

Oh, and the hard starting only occurs first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting all night. It doesn't happen when I leave work after the car has been sitting for 8 or 9 hours.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

GG
Like many fuel injected cars, it may take a few seconds to build the fuel pressure when you first turn the key before it is sufficient to start. Try turing the key to the "on" position for a few seconds before you crank it. If you open the door and listen you should hear the fuel pump running up to pressure and hear it stop. Then try to start it. If you still experience the same issue you may have some other problem
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Jun 2004, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer
Like many fuel injected cars, it may take a few seconds to build the fuel pressure when you first turn the key before it is sufficient to start. Try turing the key to the "on" position for a few seconds before you crank it. If you open the door and listen you should hear the fuel pump running up to pressure and hear it stop. Then try to start it. If you still experience the same issue you may have some other problem
Yup, that's what I've been doing. I listen to the fuel pump pressurize and watch all the warning lights go through their self-checks before attempting to start the car.

GG

http://www.ggjaguar.com/pt.htm
Old 01 Jun 2004, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just found this thread on this issue also .

Seems there may be another issue.

Sorry, I forgot that this forum won't let you link to a subject somewhere else...petty

Anyhow, email me and I will send you the link
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 Jun 2004, 09:42 am
Cool Cruiser

We had the same issue with the hard starting on the first try. It was fixed for the most part by replacing the gas cap. Seems the fuel system is a sealed unit and the gas cap was causing a bleed down of the pressure. The cranking of the engine the first time rebuilt the pressure, then when cranking the second time, it would light off.

Mike

Old 05 Jun 2004, 01:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Radowski

We had the same issue with the hard starting on the first try. It was fixed for the most part by replacing the gas cap. Seems the fuel system is a sealed unit and the gas cap was causing a bleed down of the pressure. The cranking of the engine the first time rebuilt the pressure, then when cranking the second time, it would light off.

Mike

I've been having the same starting problem. I have 20k on my GT and this just started about 2k ago. Think I'll try the gas cap. Thanks Mike

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 05 Jun 2004, 03:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is not normal for our engine so you got to find a fix somewhere. I think we are on the right track fuel pump, filter, gas cap, etc. Pressure should really be there at the beginning and is being siphoned off or not being made fast enough. Mine starts up instantly after a few days of nonusage. Strtup should be instant if everything is working as designed!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.