PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strange Noise

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Strange Noise

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could help me with this sound. The guy I bought it from *said* it was a new turbo (new casing probably..), and it is making this sound today. Since I got the car, I put the vacuum hoses where they are supposed to be and replaced the air intake sensor. The sensor was bad, and the hoses were not connected the correct way.

Today, the engine light came on with a P1188 code, and it started making this noise. The beauty is a: 2003, 2.4, Turbo GT. I do not know what the previous owner did to it other than mess-up the vacuum hoses and cover up problems that I bought, . When looking up that code, I saw it was a TIP sensor.

Would anyone know, from this video, if this problem is the turbo, sensor, or something else? What would I need to order to fix it? 2003, Turbo, GT, new air intake sensor, potentially more problems than currently known. I do not have much money; therefore, I cannot take it to Chrysler to get it properly looked at. (I wish I could)

The link is on my site: 2003 PT Cruiser Strange Noise | Fred H Garner
rockandroller likes this.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Strange Noise

I don't have a turbo so not much I can do, but the P1188 is an Overboost Code.
I'm downloading your video because I don't think your site has the bandwidth to play it without buffering.

EDIT: Just watched the video & if that sound is coming from the turbo...then you have to rebuild the turbo.

Here is a download link for the above video, I'll host it for a week. Turbo Noise Video

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 11 Apr 2016 at 01:00 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!
Old 11 Apr 2016, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

STOP turn your engine off do not drive your PT until you.....
Pull the intake boot and while the engine is off reach your finger in and see if the compressor wheel is is lose. It sound as if either the compressor wheel or turbine shaft is failing.
LionPT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Apr 2016, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you Nitro. I pulled the hose off. There is some small play in the compressor cover -> up and down/side to side. Do I have to take this whole thing off to check the turbine side? I guess I will have to take it off, so might as well learn now.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi guys! I will have to get someone to help me pull the whole turbo out. I had ordered this one: REV9 TD04 Turbo Charger turbocharger Neon SRT4 PT Cruiser Direct Replacement | eBay and I ordered this oil line: Turbocharger Oil Line Dorman 625 813 Fits 03 09 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2 4L L4 | eBay.

Is that all I would need? I guess a new gasket for the air intake? I would have to change the oil also, correct? Sorry, I am new at this.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 06:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Couple of important questions first:

1. Is there any exhaust smoke?
2. Is there a depreciation in performance when driving?

Remove inlet hose again as Nitro PT had suggested. Start the vehicle and video tape the compressor wheel while the engine is running. Be sure to keep your fingers, toes, vacuum lines, wiring, neighbors cat, etc. etc. away from the inlet of the turbo during this procedure. If it is the turbo the compressor wheel will be seen shaking violently when you hear the noise. This will confirm that the turbo needs to be replaced.

When the turbocharger is removed confirm that the stainless steel spacer washer is there. I attached a photo so you know what to look for. Without that spacer the turbine wheel will rub up against the exhaust manifold contour possibly causing the sound you are experiencing. If it's missing we do carry new ones in stock. Do not attempt to reinstall the new turbocharger without it.

The oil supply line you purchased is aftermarket and made by Dorman Products. Return it. The only line you should be installing is a Chrysler brand part number 4884276AD. You will also need the brass fitting 6036517AA. The Dorman line uses vinyl braid as a heat shield to protect the hose section of the line (see photo). Vinyl shrinks when exposed to heat and will crush/restrict the flow of oil to your turbo bearings. May not happen for a few months once Dorman's warranty expires. I visit the Dorman booth every year at SEMA and tell them this. They essentially agree and promise to change it but nothing ever happens. The Chrysler lines use reflective cloth which prevents the heat from getting to the hose. It will not burn or shrink. See photo.

You came to the right place for advice. Nitro PT and all the rest are well versed on these cars.

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

Chris-TU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5381.JPG (53.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Supply Line PT and SRT4.jpg (62.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Dorman oil lines.JPG (33.0 KB, 15 views)
myckee likes this.
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 16 Apr 2016, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Chris! Thank you VERY much! There is no smoke in the exhaust. The sound started occurring after starting the car, then it stopped for a while. Then it started again after pushing on the gas, up till about 35mph, then it would click and stop. After it did that a couple of times, I parked it!

I believe the vacuum lines were messed up when I bought it. It sounded like it was coming from the turbo. I just got the car, so I have no idea if this was happening and the guy switched up the vacuum lines to hide it for a while. It started happening at low speeds, would rattle-then click and work fine at higher speeds.

Thank you for this advice! I really need to get this car running. You would not happen to have someone in Dallas, Ga would you? You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how the vacuum lines are hooked up so I can compare would you?

I have taken apart the first bit of the job. I will have to put it back together to get it started again.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update: NitroPT-You were absolutely correct! My bud and I just got the old turbo off. The turbine blades had completely come off the rod, and some nut on the end of the rod came out of the compressor side. Lucky as all holy socks nothing happened! I will take pictures of it for you to see soon.

We had to take a day break because we are stuck trying to take the oil line off. We cannot get to it! It is most likely clogged, and it looks as if the wastegate was thrown on from another car! The one I got has another wastegate on already. We put the surge valve from the old one on, and it looked and reacted just fine.

Another pipe was ghetto rigged. It went into the oil pan. It had warped silicone that fell out, and it had a heating hose(?) connected by worm clamps. We replaced the hose to the metal and replaced the leaking gasket. This thing was in bad shape! And the guy said it was NEW! The coolant lines looked good.

Chris_TurbosUnleashed: There was a metal ring between the compressor and the turbine side. So it was there. Looked ok. I do not think any oil was getting to it so the rod broke off the blade and the nut came off.

I'm going to see if I can get a guy to help me with the hoses next. I cannot seem to explain this to anyone where I make any sense. I did not know anything at all about turbos or PT Cruisers 3 weeks ago!

We also changed out the spark plugs!
LionPT likes this.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 02:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenffxi View Post
Hi Chris! Thank you VERY much! There is no smoke in the exhaust. The sound started occurring after starting the car, then it stopped for a while. Then it started again after pushing on the gas, up till about 35mph, then it would click and stop. After it did that a couple of times, I parked it!

I believe the vacuum lines were messed up when I bought it. It sounded like it was coming from the turbo. I just got the car, so I have no idea if this was happening and the guy switched up the vacuum lines to hide it for a while. It started happening at low speeds, would rattle-then click and work fine at higher speeds.

Thank you for this advice! I really need to get this car running. You would not happen to have someone in Dallas, Ga would you? You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how the vacuum lines are hooked up so I can compare would you?

I have taken apart the first bit of the job. I will have to put it back together to get it started again.
Glad to hear the spacer was there. We call that the "death rattle" when the turbine wheel shears off the shaft and bounces around in the manifold. The drag created from insufficient lubrication is actually strong enough to do this. We suggest you review our PT Cruiser Turbo User's Guide below for a few helpful tips.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

Give us a shout if you need further assistance. The oil line swap should only take about 15 minutes if you know what brackets to remove first and what tools to use.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678

Last edited by Chris_TurbosUnleashed; 21 Apr 2016 at 02:37 pm.