Discharge AC for Thermostat?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By Leob1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2016, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Discharge AC for Thermostat?

Greetings, my wife's 'Petey' needs a new rad, that appears to be pretty straight forward, just a PIA. I'd also like to replace the thermostat, but looking at the Autozone repair guide it says for turbo models to discharge the AC. Is that really necessary? While one bolt looks hard, not impossible, to get at, I don't see a reason to mess with the AC.
Any body with experience can give me hints?
Thanks

BTW, it's a 2004, GT with the turbo.

And dumbass me put it in the wrong spot.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Discharge AC for Thermostat?

Don't worry about correcting a misplaced post. Just don't double post. I already answered in your other thread.

Thermostat, discharge AC?
Old 12 Apr 2016, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No would be the answer if just the thermostat.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Apr 2016, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never read anywhere that you needed to disconnect the AC for thermostat serving on a US model 2.4 PT Cruiser?

Short cutting any procedure is not good advise.

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

At all times it is always better to follow the factory service recommendation when replacing parts to not only be able to successfully do the repair but more importantly do the job safely without incurring personal harm.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2016, 02:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I did mine in about 15 minutes just last week. I use a small telescoping magnet to retrieve the inside bolt. Once it's loose, I just finish taking it out with the magnet. When I go to install it, I also use the magnet. Give it about 4 twists to make sure it's started and then put the socket on it. Easy peasy!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I figured out why the AZ instructions said to discharge the A/C, There is s bracket that is attached to one of the A/C lines that is held in place by the Thermostat housing bolt. The line is close to the compressor so you can't just shift it aside. So you have to discharge the A/C to disconnect it to move it from the bolt. what a PIA.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leob1 View Post
Well, I figured out why the AZ instructions said to discharge the A/C, There is s bracket that is attached to one of the A/C lines that is held in place by the Thermostat housing bolt. The line is close to the compressor so you can't just shift it aside. So you have to discharge the A/C to disconnect it to move it from the bolt. what a PIA.
No you really don't have to discharge the AC. My 2005 GT had the very same bracket. You can easily bend the bracket out of the way. It's very simple to do.

And in this photo, notice that I've moved the AC bracket out of the way and have the thermostat housing unbolted. It's still attached to the upper radiator hose. But I've lifted it and removed the thermostat. It's very easy to do and there is no need to discharge the AC. Your 2004 GT will be very similar to this except your intake manifold is aluminum.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Apr 2016 at 12:34 am.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought about bending the bracket, but it's tight in there, and with my luck it would snap off and I'd have the A/C line flopping around. Thanks for the good pics.

The new rad is in, and an oil change while it was on the ramps. Now on to the lawn.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.