Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about PT GT Turbo suspension??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2004, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question about PT GT Turbo suspension??

I know that PT GT Turbo is actually a PT with SRT-4 engine and transmission box. But with better manafold and muffler. How about the suspension on the GT turbo? is it the same used on SRT-4? of course SRT-4 should handle better due to the lower center of gravity and lighter weight. Just want to know how good is the GT cruiser using.

Thanks in advance for rely...
Old 01 Jun 2004, 05:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Avus

I know that PT GT Turbo is actually a PT with SRT-4 engine and transmission box.
Different trannies for the PT
Quote:
quote:But with better manafold and muffler.
No, the SRT develops better power becuase of a different manifold and less muffler
Quote:
quote:How about the suspension on the GT turbo? is it the same used on SRT-4? of course SRT-4 should handle better due to the lower center of gravity and lighter weight. Just want to know how good is the GT cruiser using.
Suspension is softer. Even though it is GT it is still a Cruiser. Easily upgraded though
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 Jun 2004, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think it is more accurate to say that the turbo GT is a variant of the SRT-4. It shares its development at DC with the Neon. But to say they are like two peas in a pod is just not accurate. Kinda like some that said the PT is just a rebadged Neon and that is not right. It is actually a seperate chasis line developed from the Neon.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 04 Jun 2004, 02:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

the front suspensions may be similar (macpherson strut)
the rear suspensions are totally different, hell chrysler even left the rear sway bar off of the gt's WTF [:I]
Old 04 Jun 2004, 02:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

the front suspensions may be similar (macpherson strut)
the rear suspensions are totally different, hell chrysler even left the rear sway bar off of the gt's WTF [:I]
It would have been nice if they gave us the rear suspension on the neon! Independent and ajustable camber.
Old 04 Jun 2004, 10:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

rear camber can be adjusted but it has to be done with shims behind the backing plates. Not many people will do it cause many alignment books specify no adjustment
Old 04 Jun 2004, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RallyDRock

rear camber can be adjusted but it has to be done with shims behind the backing plates. Not many people will do it cause many alignment books specify no adjustment
Yeah, you could also adjust toe at the same time, but it is a pain in the butt! Actually the shims are placed behind the spindle where it bolts to the trailing arm.
I was refering more to an actual factory external ajustment and independent swing arms.
Old 04 Jun 2004, 12:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The biggest problem with front wheel drive cars is having the front wheel/tires do all the work.

Too much sway bar causes inner wheel lift in tight cornering, and without positrac, this equates to wheel spin at the worst possible time.

McPhearson Strut is the same for both the SRT and the PT. Putting on the Tokico Sport struts brings the PT up to the level of the O.E. SRT, Konis go one better.

The best handling will occur with Positrac, Best shocks, lowered springs, and possibly more roll resistance, but without posi...inner wheel lift in tight steering will be a problem if you go overboard here. Daimler Chrysler is not introducing a positrac for the PT as comes standard on the new SRT. You can buy an aftermarket unit for the 5-speed, but none is yet available for the automatic. Dont be confused, a lockup differential is not a Positrac differential.

I still believe that there is someone ingenious enough to find a way for the PT to have some semblance of indipendant rear suspension, just my wish list.[8)]
Old 04 Jun 2004, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Although Mopar has not released it, there is supposed to be a Stage 1 front sway bar for the PT GT. Rather than add sway control to the rear, they seem to be added more to the front.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 04 Jun 2004, 03:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

And these are the same folks that thought that you could do without a rear sway bar? Shure I believe them.(NOT!)

I didn't invent the steering dynamics of front wheel drive. Just go to a weekend autocross meet and talk to any of the Front Wheel Drive competitors, you will get an earfull![8)]