PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 PT GT Smog Failure, Chrysler is aware

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2016, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 PT GT Smog Failure, Chrysler is aware

My 03 PT Cruiser GT, just made history in California. My car paved the way to allow all 03 GT models with a "Catalyst Monitor Not Complete", to pass California emissions. It all started with code P0440 being set because of a bad gas cap, Once the cap was replaced and the PCM reset, I thought all was good until I tried to get the car SMOG certified. The dealership advised that although no codes were set, a Catalyst Monitor was not ready which would not allow the SMOG to take place.

It cost me through the dealership $1099.00, over 1000 miles of trying to get the monitor set and more than 30 days loss of use of the car. 2 PCM changes, One Oxygen sensor (1/1) replaced and still the monitor was not ready. Chrysler Technical Asst. was contacted by the dealer and was told that Chrysler was aware of the issue and was working on a resolution without an ETA.
The Technician contacted STAR BAR for assistance and authorization was given to pass the SMOG test for model year 2003 PT Cruiser with 2.4 Litre Turbo. I asked Chrysler for a refund since they knew of the problem and should have notified the dealerships to avoid the expense of "easter egging" replacing parts until it fixed it. Chrysler politely responded they were not going to cover it because my car is out of warranty 7-70,000. The car had 75,966 miles when delivered to the dealership with the issue. I cannot fault the dealership they kept me in the loop and kept trying to fix the issue. The car is now SMOGGED but has the exact same problem as when I delivered it, and I lost over 30 days of use, 1000 miles of longevity, and $1099 in cash. If your car has the issue do not spend money trying to fix it advise the shop of this information. The Technician told me my car set the exemption for the state and a bulletin was put out through the state of California concerning the issue.

I condensed the above situation as best I could but this was much more drawn out that I care to write about. I hope this helps someone out there.
Fk5, NitroPT, ptprice and 6 others like this.

Never Enough Mopars, Just too little Garage Space. 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona, 2003 Dream Cruiser GT, 2003 PT GT, 1973 Dodge Challenger
Old 26 Apr 2016, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 PT GT Smog Failure, Chrysler is aware

I should post the revision when I get it. I am current ARB CA certified smog technician so I am sure I will get the update soon.

GOOD Show!!!!
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Apr 2016, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

It is already out, I confirmed this with a friend I know who is a SMOG tech, he showed me the bulletin.

Never Enough Mopars, Just too little Garage Space. 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona, 2003 Dream Cruiser GT, 2003 PT GT, 1973 Dodge Challenger
Old 24 May 2016, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I place the ignition key in the ignition and turn the key to ACC (not engaging the starter motor) I hear 5 chimes.... A pause then one more chime.

After the vehicle is warmed up the last chime is not heard when turning the key to ACC.

I thought this was one method of recognizing the computer signals the vehicle is ready for emmisions test mode.

But now the last chime is only heard after the vehicle is warm, and not heard when the vehicle is cold.\

(To clarify I believe this sequence is meant to illustrate the voltage signal strength to the O2 sensor, and when the 2.5 volt offset is being delivered through the sensors return line to the PCM.)

Last edited by Creampuffcruiser; 25 May 2016 at 09:28 pm. Reason: Word selection
Old 24 May 2016, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At least that is what I thought I read in the service manual.

Last edited by Creampuffcruiser; 24 May 2016 at 07:15 pm. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 25 May 2016, 01:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 03 PT GT Smog Failure, Chrysler is aware

I just gotta ask you all...what in gods name is worth the time and crap this car puts us through?? I could not afford to buy another one after my husband of 30 yrs passed very suddenly. He took care of cars. I hate this car sooo much I got a second job and went back to school. No rhyme or reason it does what it wants, allllways at the wrong time and maybe never again!!I want to drive it off a cliff.Could happen soon!
Watch the news...lots around in Cali!
thanks for all your help ...this is a devil car!
Old 25 May 2016, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

>>>>>removed under advisement

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 May 2016 at 10:30 am.
Old 25 May 2016, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denab View Post
I just gotta ask you all...what in gods name is worth the time and crap this car puts us through?? I could not afford to buy another one after my husband of 30 yrs passed very suddenly. He took care of cars. I hate this car sooo much I got a second job and went back to school. No rhyme or reason it does what it wants, allllways at the wrong time and maybe never again!!I want to drive it off a cliff.Could happen soon!
denab, don't worry about this problem with the smog it is actually a blessing because it is out of warranty and the manufacturer has restructured.
I believe if worse comes to worse we'll be exempt from this stage of testing.
Besides you know that this is the turbo forum and you own a 2001?

I believe it was 2003 when the new power control module (PCM) was introduced the (NGC) Next generation computer which combines the engine management systems with the transmission managment system to eliminate the need for two separate systems . So this problem is not applicable to your 2001 or pre 2003 model year.

The factory service manual still shows a transmission computer module location placement but this is for the 1.6 and 2.0 export models.
Old 25 May 2016, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does any one have a copy of this update bulletin ?
Old 25 May 2016, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denab View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Some of my friends get a good deal on leasing a car on Black Friday as they don't know how to work on cars.