Advertisements
White smoke on startup

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2016, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default White smoke on startup

I have a 2005 PT Gt 2.4 Turbo. When I start it up I have a white cloud of smoke, it smells like oil not antifreeze. It dissipates after a few minutes . There is no water in oil or oil in radiator. Car still has power . Any ideas !!!!
Old 02 May 2016, 06:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: White smoke on startup

Rings or valves. I'd try putting some Seafoam in the crankcase and change the PCV valve and see how it does over the next 500 miles or so.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 May 2016, 08:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Check the big air intake hose going from the air filter box to the turbo (back near the firewall). It may be loose or cracked or torn. Mine tore away completely at the connection to the turbo causing an imbalance in the air/fuel mixture and making white smoke.

They ain't cheap to replace ($80 to $110), but I put a new one on and it stopped smoking immediately for me.

I also changed the pcv valve at the same time just for good measure, but it had been bad for a long time.
Old 03 May 2016, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Renegade's right about that turbo hose. You can order one from Dodgeparts.com, but with shipping it's close to $100. How do I know? I had that happen last year and had to buy one. I managed to talk the parts manager at the local Chrysler dealership into selling me one for $84 plus tax. I'd forgotten all about that dang thing! Check that, but some Seafoam and a new PCV valve won' hurt anything either. Just call that preventive maintenance.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 04 May 2016, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's the pcv valve. Unplug it and see. Be sure to cap off the intake nipple when you unplugs that hose. Not sure what sea foam will do for this problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 May 2016, 08:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

I was suggesting the Seafoam just as a general engine clean up, Busted. You know, in case a passage here or there was getting gunked up. Possibly help free up a sticky ring or two if that was the case.

Old 04 May 2016, 09:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Another possibility is the seals in the turbo bearing are worn and when the Cruiser is shut down for a while, some oil drips into the exhaust side of the turbo. Then, on start up, you get the fog machine effect until the puddle of oil blows out the tailpipe. Rebuilding the turbo or whatever the problem is, fix it soon because your cats are getting fouled and those aren't cheap either.

You may be able to make a quick check of the turbo condition by removing the airbox to turbo hose and you should be able to reach the nose of the impeller through the mouth of the turbo with your fingers. See if it rocks/slops side to side, up and down which would indicate that it's time for a rebuild.

Turbo boost is fun but if you're in the habit of staying in the power right up until you park in the lot and walk away, you're leaving the turbo super heated with no more oil circulation to cool the bearing. This will coke the stagnant oil in the bearing which is like tossing a handful of abrasive diamonds in there. A better habit is to drive the last few miles before you shut down at low to 0 boost and let the turbo and bearing cool down before you shut the engine off. We've all seen the movies where the cowboy lets his horse cool down after a hard ride before it gets put in the barn. It's the same principle with the turbo Cruiser.