Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can't win/ with neon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2004, 12:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Can't win/ with neon

Those that remmeber what my hood looks like. I have tried (with no success) to get a red glow to illuminate inside my cowl so I can see it only from the cockpit. First I mounted a 6" neon on the top (inside) figuring it would glow the scoop, what I got was a solid red beam of light racing across the top of the hood right in my face inside the car. NOT the right effect. Today I went to Bar Boutique and tried out a directional L.E.D light but that didn;'t work either. I think the solution is right in front of me. How about if I get a engine light assembly, and put a red bulb in it, that just may work. any other suggestions, I'm open.
Old 05 Jun 2004, 03:00 am
Cool Cruiser

You're pointed in the right direction mate. You need to bounce the light for it to glow the way you want. The neon would work if you could mount it further down (read as inside) the cowl. The amount of light reflected back up the cowl is going to depend on the finish (mirror/matte) inside the air channel. Only problem is it will be partially blocking/disrupting your air flow. The LEDs would be nice as you could mount them from the underside so they are flush within your air path. Of course having said that I don't know how well they'd stand up to the engine heat.

Either way don't forget that even if you do manage to soften it to a glow that won't blind ya you'll still be reflecting that red light off your front glass which may make you popular with the boys in blue.

Keep us posted if you get something noodled out. Curious to see what it'd look like.