Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
As promissed, Stock PT vs Stock PT with PCM Reset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2004, 08:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default As promissed, Stock PT vs Stock PT with PCM Reset

As I prommised, here are the two passes I did in My PT last year in stock configuration.

The first pass shown here, is my PT in Full Stock configuration:

http://homepage.mac.com/ianrc/iMovieTheater2.html

In this video you will see My PT doing a Pass after I pulled the negative cable from the battery:

http://homepage.mac.com/ianrc/iMovieTheater3.html

It was 20 Minutes later, the temp was the same. I improved .3 sec in the quarter mile and almost two miles per hour. This was the day that my "PCM Conspiracy theory" started.

I did two passes geting similar results before and after the PCM reset just to make sure It was not a fluke.

I have been able to duplicate this "Phenomenon" four times after the day I took this video.

BTW You will need quicktime so see the video. Excuse me for not doing it in .WMA I got a new Apple and I am learning this new program. So far I love it.

Ian
Old 07 Jun 2004, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I watched both videos, and had a question on the one with the PCM Reset Video...... there was another car on the strip and he took off the same time as you did, but I didn't see the car finish.

Was he that slow and didn't finish the 1/4 mile? OR did he just decided to do a 1/8 mile run and stop?
Old 07 Jun 2004, 11:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I kicked the WRXs Butt![?]

Well, it was a WRX but it was Normally Aspirated (2.5RS)
The car ran the 1/4 mile but it did a horrible 16.3.

In the first one, I was also the first to finish. I was against a Supercharged Tacoma.

Ian
Old 08 Jun 2004, 12:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks Ian, that is very enlightening! I'm definitely going to give this a shot next month at the track. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08 Jun 2004, 08:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

It may be that the PCM is "brand new" after reset and just dumps gas? Hrm...or maybe just the opposite?? We all know you can tune a few hp out of Stage I (which runs incredibly rich) by leaning it out using a map clamp. Could the PCM be running lean when reset?? [:I]

Dyno time

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 08 Jun 2004, 11:27 am
Regular Cruiser

what's a map clamp and can you or someone post a pic.
steve[:I]
Old 13 Jun 2004, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Map Clamp

http://www.fwdmopar.com/sites/dennis/howto.html

04 Pat Blue Stage 1 Turbo, 5 speed, K&N drop in & airbox mods & AMX Turbo Pipe, Mopar BOV, TurboXS MBC, Eibach Pro spring kit, K&N oil filter, BTG Axle Back, chrome taillight rings, chrome rear bumper insert, chrome hood ports, Shorty Antenna, Blane hood struts, Kenwood X579 head unit, Home built Subwoofer, Home built grounding kit.

Member Tualatin Valley Cruiser Club
http://www.tvccpt.com
Old 18 Jun 2004, 04:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

This is something that I confirmed some months ago at the dyno. I know it works on other Mopars from experience, and verified the gains at the dyno, although small, the torque jumped over 8 points.

Here's where I went to the dyno:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/386332/3

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 19 Jun 2004, 09:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thank you Triple Jack!!![^]

Now we have seen it in the dyno also!

Now my final test in the "PCM Conspiracy theory" is that when you install a Performance upgrade, it will show HP gains inmidiately but in the long run, it will loose HP and torque. When you reset the PCM, it all comes back, for a short time.

What I am saying is that Bolt ons are not the permanent way to increase HP and torque. We need to control the PCM for the Bolt-ons to work permanently. Some people are almost there with the EBCs, the MAP Clamps and the Power Packs. I think this is the way to go. The final piece of the puzle is the Ignition timing retard. This is the only part left to hyjack from the PCM in order to fully control the HP game. I don't know if we can achieve this with the Power Pack but If we do it, then we realy have a tunable car.

Ian