PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine failure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2004, 06:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTCruiser2003
Default Engine failure

Well, today i took in the gt for its 30,000 mile service and for a noise it had been making for about 2 weeks. the noise sounded like when you stick somthing in a fan, sort of like a loud clack clack clack, cant really explain in words. I dropped of the car today like at 9:00am at the dealer and told them about the noise. when they turned on the car it started making it so im like ok, at least they can do something about it since they heard it, because if they cant replicate the noise they wont do a thing about it. then later today the service advisor calls me up to tell me that they finished doing all the service, i then asked him if thay had found the cause of the noise. he then tells me that when they tried to start up the car, it wouldnt turn over with the key, so they had to do it manually. when they finally got it on the engine stalled and will not turn on anymore. so now im gonna have to wait like a week for them to get a new engine so they can put it in. they couldnt tell me what caused the engine to die right now until they brake it apart and see what cause the malfunction. will post when i get the results.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 06:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

hmmmmmmm new engine in 1 week and under warranty most likely. Eventhough, it may sound like a long time, but your getting a new engine. You got some extra years off your GT, if they install the engine correctly.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

If they are putting an engine in it they are not even going to break down the old one. They don't get paid to do that.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 10 Jun 2004, 07:31 pm
Young Cruiser

all i know is they better put on my BOV cause it was a PITA to install. maybe i should get some AM motor mounts installed while the engine is out?? hmmmmmm.... dam more mods.[8D]

what are some good motor mounts and where can i get them??
Mods: Mopar BOV, silencers removed, cowl weather strip removed,Goldline slammers,CarPuter,Greddy Turbo Timer, rearview mirror TV, XBox, PS 2, Alpine Type X components, Pioneer AVIC-N1 Head Unit, fully sound dampend interior, custom fiberglass sub box, Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 15\", Hollywood Audio Amps, red underbody neon, Inferno Red airbag cover, instument cluster, and center console, red door inserts, red headliner, APC Gen2 tailights(POS),removed hood and side emblems, tinted front windows.
Work in progress: Fiberglass headliner, Autometer boost,water temp, and Oil Pressure guages.

JUST THE BEGINNING.......

http://community.webshots.com/user/gtcruiser2003
Old 10 Jun 2004, 11:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GTCruiser2003

all i know is they better put on my BOV cause it was a PITA to install...
Just count your blessings as some dealers might hassle you about having that performance modification--Mopar BOV--and tell you this caused your engine failure and voided the warranty. [V]

Good luck.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT
Just count your blessings as some dealers might hassle you about having that performance modification--Mopar BOV--and tell you this caused your engine failure and voided the warranty. [V]
Been there done that, First it was S1, then the BOV. In the end they couldn't figure out what burned those 4 exhaust valves So 7/8 weeks later it was fixed for free. They even threw in a nice big scratch, another 2 weeks later IT was fixed for free. Thanking my lucky stars [?]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 02 Jul 2004, 03:01 am
Young Cruiser

Well, today after 3 weeks i finally got my GT back. they gave me a report of what they found wronge with the engine and it reads: "knocking noise from lower engine. Perform compression test cyl #4 low. remove oil pan found metal throught lower engine, thrust bearing worn all the way down. correction: replace short block w/ turbo charger & transfer over all parts" im glad i finally got my car back but i have one question. When i took the car in for its 30000 mile service, it died on the dealer before they did anything, and the still charged me $347.00 for the service even tho they had to drain all the fluids regardless to replace the short block. the bill came out to be $3052.41. i understand paying for the tire rotation and the various filters but should i have to pay full price for the service? when asked why i had to pay they told me that what they did wasn't covered under warranty. i then proceded to point out that they had to do most of the things anyway. i let it go cause i was getting pretty angry and didnt what to argue whith them how they were gonna do 90% of the things anyway. should i call chrysler and argue my case or is it a lost cause already??
Mods: Mopar BOV, silencers removed, cowl weather strip removed,Goldline slammers,CarPuter,Greddy Turbo Timer, rearview mirror TV, XBox, PS 2, Alpine Type X components, Pioneer AVIC-N1 Head Unit, fully sound dampend interior, custom fiberglass sub box, Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 15\", Hollywood Audio Amps, red underbody neon, Inferno Red airbag cover, instument cluster, and center console, red door inserts, red headliner, APC Gen2 tailights(POS),removed hood and side emblems, tinted front windows.
Work in progress: Fiberglass headliner, Autometer boost,water temp, and Oil Pressure guages.

Old 02 Jul 2004, 03:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Are you saying you paid for the short block? That it wasn't covered under warranty?

$347 for the 30,000 mile check. WOW! My service supervisor told me it would cost me $100 to change the plugs so I told him I'd do it myself. I don't need an air filter because I have an intake. The rest of the inspecting tie rods and boots, the replacing the pcv air filter and adjusting the generator tension belt should cost me $100 or less of which half of that will be for my oil change with Castrol Syntec. I deal with the same guy all of the time. Last Saturday when we picked up my wife's '01 (catalytic converter failure fixed for free under warranty) we went over the 30k checkup in the owner's manual and arrived at that estimate.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Jul 2004, 03:40 am
Young Cruiser

i just paid for the 30000 mile service. the total bill for everything came out to $3052.41.

Old 02 Jul 2004, 08:17 am
Cool Cruiser

GTCruiser2003,

Let me get this straight, you paid $3,052.41 for the 30K service????

Holy S%^& dude! You were bamboozled, hornswaggled, flimflammed, and any other word for "taken."

I would LOVE to see the itemization for the bill. Break it down for us.

The worst tune-up/inspection bill I have ever seen was $500. Did they give you liquid gold as your oil? Wait, did they at least kiss you before you went home?

GOOD GRIEF!!!!

You shouldn't be paying a DIME for the engine swap since it was covered under the 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty, let alone the 7yr/70K powertrain warranty.

Get your money back! Call the Chrysler help line! DO something!

Scott