Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A solution to the "harmonic drone" problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2004, 12:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default A solution to the "harmonic drone" problem

The BTG axle-back exhaust system is LOUD--especially around 3000 RPM when you hear the "harmonic roar" [:0] that plagues many after-market PT Cruiser exhaust systems. This noise further increased when the Mopar STAGE 1 Turbo Upgrade was installed about a 1000 miles ago. I recently had a [u]24-inch resonator installed</u> between the cat and muffler which has [u]eliminated the problem</u>. You now can hear the radio with the moon-roof open and my wife is happy. You still hear a distinct low custom exhaust sound but the resonator has "mellowed things out" which is nice. [8D]
Old 17 Jun 2004, 02:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

you my friend are a steelly eyed missile man who has way too much time and money on your hands and we thank you for it. might I suggest you send your recomndations to BTG so they can upgrade maybe they will be thankfull enough to pay you somthing for doing thier RD for them.
steve[^]
Old 17 Jun 2004, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gary,

My first aftermarket exhaust 2 years ago was the PaceSetter form JC Whitney. Although the 2 1/2" mandril bent pipe was good, the muffler was a piece of crap. Made out of tin and loud as a straight through pipe (probably was). I had the muffler shop add a 24" resonator after the CAT and altough it helped, it didn't cut out the raspy hollow sound I was getting. Cut that sucker off and added a DynoMax and left the resonator in place. Great sound out the back and no drone inside. Still have the same stuff on now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 03:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ote69
...might I suggest you send your recomndations to BTG so they can upgrade maybe they will be thankfull enough to pay you somthing for doing thier RD for them.
steve[^]
BTG does offer a cat-back exhaust which includes a resonator for those wanting a "more mellow sound". One of the main reasons I purchased the BTG Axle/Back exhaust was because of the positive product reviews/comments I read on this forum and the fact it is advertised as..."This PERFORMANCE system has a deep sporty sound in the turbo application -- not too loud." I discovered quickly this system was VERY LOUD and, with use and the addition of STAGE 1, became even louder. I'm sure some people love the loud sound. But, least to my ears, this exhaust system without a resonator is way too loud. Just my two cents. [8]
Old 17 Jun 2004, 03:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Gary,...I had the muffler shop add a 24" resonator after the CAT and altough it helped, it didn't cut out the raspy hollow sound I was getting. Cut that sucker off and added a DynoMax and left the resonator in place. Great sound out the back and no drone inside. Still have the same stuff on now.
Thanks for the info, CREWZIN, however, I think for now I'll let well enough alone. I don't want to put anymore time or money into the exhaust system since my wife is now happy which means I'm happy. The resonator eliminated most of the 3000rpm "harmonic roar" and I like the "new mellowness" of the exhaust sound. [8D] Also, I like the looks of my BTG exhaust MOD--BULLET Dual Wall SS Tip--which made the exhaust outlet pipe longer (no more blackening of the lower body because the BTG tip was short) and the BULLET tip runs cooler.

If things don't work out I will consider your recommendation about installing a new DynoMax muffler. Do you have a part number and/or the place where you purchased yours from. Thanks again. [?]
Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gary,

I didn't mean for you to run out and buy my system. I was telling you of my resonator experience, which gave a good sound out back and eliminated the drone like yours. Any muffler shop would/could order the DynoMax that I have..part Number 17732.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gary, how many miles are on your GT. I've got almost 5,000 and my BTG cat back gets louder with every mod. I think it's getting louder with age too.[8D]

John
Old 17 Jun 2004, 04:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gary, I just saw your other post with 8413 miles. I'll read all posts before sending questions!

John
Old 17 Jun 2004, 05:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT
...my BTG cat back gets louder with every mod. I think it's getting louder with age too.[8D]
John
Right on, John. [|)] If you don't want the HEAR your EXHAUST then stay away from BTG. However, if you like it good and loud then BTG is for you. [8D] [8)]
Old 17 Jun 2004, 07:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Another way to fix the drone is to use the "aeroturbine" that yellowsnow has been pushing in different areas around this site.