Advertisements
PT GT Turbo muffler question

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2016, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question PT GT Turbo muffler question

Hello all- I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT, 2.4L Turbo. My question is simple. I need to replace the muffler. It's peeling like an onion and it's time for new one. Do I really need to replace it with a muffler specifically for a turbo? Walker makes a replacement muffler (#54385) which I'd like to use because it's stainless and it comes with the head pipe. BUT it's for a non-turbo. I have read that the only difference is that the turbo mufflers are a little less restrictive. Problem is, they are louder. Not by much, but it is a noticeable rumble. I know this because I also own a 2001 PT non-turbo. I just want to make sure I will cause no damage to the turbo if I use this muffler. I am not concerned in the least about performance. This is my daughters car and she actually would prefer a non-GT, non-turbo car. But it's the Electric Blue and she simply MUST have this color. And yes, I know that Walker also offers a muffler for the turbo, but it does not come with a head pipe and it's considerably more. Also not stainless. Looks identical. Same dimensions, mounts, etc. Opinions?
Old 12 Nov 2016, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT GT Turbo muffler question

I don't believe it would do any damage. It may reduce performance, but if you're okay with that, I think you're okay.
There was an aftermarket turbo kit (Hahn) for the N/A PT - it did not require you to change the muffler.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just threw a factory muffler from a NA car on my GT, only because I am required to have one for a safety inspection and it was easy to throw on for now. The GT muffler I have has had the expanded end mostly cut off and so I will need to repair that before I can use it. The NA will server its purpose for now.

I know you said you were not concerned with the potential loss of performance, but for any others thinking of doing the same thing, I can tell you first hand, that the loss of performance is very apparent and seemingly substantial. I would recommend to anyone needing a new GT muffler, to find the correct one.

Walker has a fully stainless steel replacement muffler available, for the GT, and the part number is 54912.

It does not appear to be available from my favourite supplier, Rock Auto, but it is available on ebay from CarID and the pre-shipping price is only about $2more than the NA version which is available at Rock Auto.

Walker 54912 - Replacement Muffler Assembly | eBay
Old 13 Nov 2016, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OMG if that is the replacement and the NA is like that no wonder you lose performance. Those bends places the actual ID at what....inch and half? LOL
We won't even talk about what each bend does for reduction in flow rate. LOL

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Nov 2016, 07:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's great. Thanks for the info.