PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Has anyone used a non-oem radiator on a Turbo?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Renegade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Has anyone used a non-oem radiator on a Turbo?

I have a 2005 PT Touring Convertible Turbo (turbolite). This car is new to me, so I'm working out its defects. Coolant is seeping out the top radiator seam, and I don't believe radiator stop leak does anything but plug up heater cores. So, I'm in the market for a new radiator. For those that don't know, the turbo uses a radiator with a removable inlet. From what I can tell, the removable inlet allows one to replace the electric cooling fan, which I did earlier, and which solved my overheating problems. The replacement radiators have a little disclaimer that says 'radiator does not have a removable inlet...installation may require removal of the turbo'. Huh? The turbo is not near the inlet to the radiator. The removable inlet is on the top of the tank on the right-hand side...the upper radiator hose attaches to it. I'm thinking the removable inlet is to allow access or removal of items like the electrical fan. I guess one could install the electrical fan and radiator as an assembly? Has anyone tried this, or should I just get the Chrysler radiator? There's a big difference in price. The turbo radiator with the non-removable inlet is $60. The Chrysler radiator with the removable inlet is around $220 on ebay. So, what have other turbo owners done? Have you been able to use the aftermarket radiator with the non-removable inlet, or did you go with the original Chrysler design?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Has anyone used a non-oem radiator on a Turbo?

There is really no advantage even racing a PT Cruiser with anything other then a direct replacement radiator.

Adding an auxiliary fan or fans will be a help for air flow.

I have seen some use all aluminum radiators but cant see spending the money for looks and bragging rights having one?? However sometime looks is important at times when your ride does less than expected 9 (or 14sec.) second 1/4 mile passes.
rob302 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

re-read that speed reader. he's just curious about the OEM removeable inlet vs not having it using something like the $54 TYC i have
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromagnondan View Post
I have a 2005 PT Touring Convertible Turbo (turbolite). This car is new to me, so I'm working out its defects. Coolant is seeping out the top radiator seam, and I don't believe radiator stop leak does anything but plug up heater cores. So, I'm in the market for a new radiator. For those that don't know, the turbo uses a radiator with a removable inlet. From what I can tell, the removable inlet allows one to replace the electric cooling fan, which I did earlier, and which solved my overheating problems. The replacement radiators have a little disclaimer that says 'radiator does not have a removable inlet...installation may require removal of the turbo'. Huh? The turbo is not near the inlet to the radiator. The removable inlet is on the top of the tank on the right-hand side...the upper radiator hose attaches to it. I'm thinking the removable inlet is to allow access or removal of items like the electrical fan. I guess one could install the electrical fan and radiator as an assembly? Has anyone tried this, or should I just get the Chrysler radiator? There's a big difference in price. The turbo radiator with the non-removable inlet is $60. The Chrysler radiator with the removable inlet is around $220 on ebay. So, what have other turbo owners done? Have you been able to use the aftermarket radiator with the non-removable inlet, or did you go with the original Chrysler design?

It may be that what they mean is the intake manifold and not the turbo. However, that's not really required either. It may be a typo from a service manual that's been repeated by the radiator manufacturers.

If you look at my footer below, you can see the blue upper radiator hose and at least get an idea of how that top inlet sits in relation to the engine.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Nov 2016 at 02:02 pm.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
re-read that speed reader. he's just curious about the OEM removeable inlet vs not having it using something like the $54 TYC i have
funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromagnondan View Post
I'm in the market for a new radiator.
I choose only one aspect to his post to respond to and added a little more having to do with fans.

Well well another miss printed information slipped by the 'checkers". I have said so often over the years that many, many, many, after market application guides are not accurate. It is always better to contact the supplier or manufacture direct when there is any question about application.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Nov 2016 at 02:19 pm.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, I was looking for confirmation that the TYC radiator or equivalent could be used even though it does not have a removable inlet. Taking off the intake manifold is not bad. Sounds like I can save some money. Thanks.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 04:30 am
Cool Cruiser

I have a 2004 turbolite and I replaced the oem radiator with an aftermarket with the fixed inlet almost exactly 1 year ago with no problems since. I've even removed the new one once to fix a couple of other things. The oem removable inlet was convenient, but since you need to take the whole radiator out anyway to replace it, you're not losing much.

Just make sure you get one that is compatible with the turbo, meaning the radiator needs to have the power steering coolant ports. The non turbo radiators don't have them.

I removed the front end piece above the radiator, the grille, and the bracket behind it. Then loosened the hoses (the power steering hoses will be messy), the fan connections, then the bolts holding the radiator in place and lifted the radiator and fan out as one. I swapped the fan onto the new radiator, then put it in as one unit and replaced everything. Refilled the coolant, burped it, topped off the power steering, and was good to go.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Renegade; 29 Nov 2016 at 04:40 am.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 02:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I swapped my 2003 GT radiator out with a TYC. I think mine cost $67 all in. I didn't have much trouble dealing with the radiator or the fan. I can't remember who changed my radiator out first, but I am at my third one without a removable anything. I'm not sure of any price difference, but I'd buy this one again. <knock wood>
Old 29 Nov 2016, 02:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I swapped my 2003 GT radiator out with a TYC. I think mine cost $67 all in. I didn't have much trouble dealing with the radiator or the fan. I can't remember who changed my radiator out first, but I am at my third one without a removable anything. I'm not sure of any price difference, but I'd buy this one again. <knock wood>
Do you happen to have aline to the one you used? I don't need one, but reading all these post about the radiator it sounds like it is only amateur of time before I do and I don't care to spend $400+ at a dealer.
Old 01 Dec 2016, 01:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My 2003 Dream has had a non-turbo radiator in it since I got it. I have no cooling problems with.
I have removed the turbo fan from my son's 2003 GT without removing the neck from the radiator with no big problems. We recently replaced his radiator with one from a 2004 Turbo I stripped a year or so ago. The radiator fit great and fan replacement was easy too.

Tags
oem, radiator replacement, removable inlet, turbo