Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 3 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Importance of Cold air?

My 05 turbo is new to me. It was about 25 degrees this morning. I believe the car performed much better. Cold air is denser, so if it was not my imagination, then what's the optimum outside air temperature for the turbo? My air intake is stock. If what I noticed is real, then do the after-market short intakes hurt performance by not taking in air over by the wheel well like the stock intake systems?
Old 09 Dec 2016, 11:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Importance of Cold air?

This has been discussed many times. To be honest the way the intake manifold is set up onthe pt, there is no way to ever get really cold air into 5he motor with out changing 5he intake it self. I have a 3 inch intake on mine because I like the sound and look I get from it. Besides that I belive that's all it provides. So get a good tune more boost and you will get more power that would be the best upgrade performance wise. Happy cruising.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First post very old school thoughts.

If you were to monitor your PCM controlled engine management area's, fueling, timing, IAT, HO2 voltage etc., you would find that although you may feel an improvement because your throttle response may feel crisper in colder operating outside temperatures (this is butt dyno effect) in reality your actual performance output is reduced.
I.e.as one example of what I am talking about is that engine power is produced by a the degree of fuel vaporization within the intake charge which is greatly influenced by hotter intake charge temperatures.
cromagnondan and revo like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Dec 2016 at 12:19 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 01:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromagnondan View Post
My 05 turbo is new to me. It was about 25 degrees this morning. I believe the car performed much better. Cold air is denser, so if it was not my imagination, then what's the optimum outside air temperature for the turbo? My air intake is stock. If what I noticed is real, then do the after-market short intakes hurt performance by not taking in air over by the wheel well like the stock intake systems?
Once upon a time, there were chokes, and mixture screws, and all sorts of silly shit - all of which is now done automatically by a computer, regardless.
Cold air is really REALLY over-rated. An intercooler on a turbo isn't there to make the air cold, just not exhaust pipe hot.
It helps, but over and above a point it's marginal and.... over-rated.
Plus... you have two feet of plastic inlet laying over an engine with a bonnet closed over it. You could pack the throttle body in ice and the air would still be hot by the time it got sucked into the cylinder....
Old 09 Dec 2016, 03:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromagnondan View Post
IMO optimum temperature for beating on a car is 50-60f. above 80 i notice after the car has been driven a while i feel the effects of heat-soak and the car will make it feel noticeably slower. under 40 traction becomes an issue(for me).

generally around here heat comes along with humidity, and that plays a big part as well.

here are a few different examples punched into a aviation HP calculator

hot and humid (vs 77, 50% humidity)
1.JPG

50 and no humidity
2.JPG

your 25 weather
3.JPG

i understand those are questionable results at best. i also understand that anything less than 20HP is generally not felt, and 6.8% X 200hp = 13.6hp increase

i may be going about my thinking differently than most, i'm talking about a car at running temperature, like coolant @180. there's definitely more HP with cooler denser air.

i also believe a cold 25 car takes waaaay longer to feel the effects of heat soak, a problem i spent $800 combating on my supercharged ford. to me the results were worth every penny.
Capture.JPG

i would hypothesize that the cooler, denser, dry air added a little more HP that you would barely feel, but also that a 25 street would provide a little wheel spin and would help your PT get into the rpm it makes power at quicker.

not a scientist or a mechanic though, so maybe i'm nuts. i think i called nitro crying about this when the heatsoak made my car a turd. i love cool dry drys. personally, i very much feel the difference on cool days and it makes me smile.

Last edited by rob302; 09 Dec 2016 at 03:47 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2016, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Next time try up loading a slightly different file before you go onto the highway after driving in traffic or letting the engine sit getting heat soak between WOT runs .

Adaptives are a beeeitch!!

I would also think about investing in a water,water /Myth system.
cromagnondan likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN