Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo 5-Speed vs Auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2003, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo 5-Speed vs Auto

Has anyone else driven both the 5-Speed Turbo and the Automatic turbo? I've driven both and found the automatic to be very quick and fun to drive, the turbo kicks in quickly,(at about 2,000 RPM), and You can really feel the power. But the 5-Speed was a huge let-down, NO turbo at all in 1st gear, and it wouldn't kick in until after 4,000 RPM in 2nd gear. The automatic was definitely a quicker car, a faster car, and everything worked like it was supposed to. The 5-Speed is supposed to be the quicker of the two according to DC, but it's definitley NOT! Either that or the 5-Speed I drove had major problems. A rep drove it and said it was fine and everything worked like it was supposed to, I say it's VERY slow, with a useless turbo, definitely not worth buying. Has ANYONE else driven both and compared?
Old 22 Jan 2003, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

drove a stick the other day just for fun and well im glad i have the auto !!

Old 22 Jan 2003, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Bob,
Did You notice there wasn't any turbo in 1st gear at all? Did You notice how the turbo didn't kick in until after 4,000 RPM on the 5-Speed? (Just wondering if You were disappointed in the performance of the 5-Speed the way I was). The rep supposedly drove the same 5-Speed I did and said it was fine. It might have been fine for him since he wasn't buying it, but I wouldn't buy a 5-Speed just to get my doors blown off by an automatic.
Anyway, good choice on the auto-stick. You'll be able to blow away any 5-Speed turbos that "think" they have the same horsepower and torque that your auto-stick has. Must be a different computer, a different turbo, a different engine?????
Old 23 Jan 2003, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i didn't like the stick at all !! performance was not that great ,now keep in mind i love to drive stick but the stick verus auto in the pt turbo stay with the auto !!

Old 27 Jan 2003, 05:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

It has been quite a while since I have driven a turbo car, but it all came back pretty quick with my new 5 speed. There is plenty of boost in 1st, you just have to know how to drive a turbo stick. If you want boost you have to slip the clutch more off the line. The torque converter slips the clutch for you on an auto, it just depends on the stall speed of the converter how much. Turbos are known to work very well with autos because the RPM's don't drop between shifs and the turbo stays spooled. You have to shift quicker and keep the rpms up to drive a turbo stick well. Just practice, you'll get it. I like the close ratios of the 5 speed but that is just me.

Old 27 Jan 2003, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

drove the 5 speed again and ok driving like i love to drive stick it is nice !! rpm's up shift fast !! its alot of fun , i still like my auto stick drove my 5 speed 94 duster in traffic home from work for 6 years i dont miss the clutch yet

Old 30 Jan 2003, 07:49 pm
Young Cruiser

cal cruizer is right. keeping on top of the rpms and quick shifting gets the thing screaming. Its also alot more fun, i believe than the auto. (i drove both). i think the 5 speeds engine noise is alot more roucus seeings how its ideal to keep shift points at 4500-5000 rpm. i needed to get used to that.

Old 30 Jan 2003, 08:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

is the stick faster than the auto??

Old 31 Jan 2003, 01:53 pm
Young Cruiser

The only turbo I've ever driven (or ridden, in this case) is a 1982 Honda CX500 Turbo motorcycle that I own. Honda only made it for one year, then followed it the next year with a 650cc version, and then stopped producing them all together. It definatley takes a "technique" to ride this bike well, and to ride it fast. As Cal Cruzer says..you gotta keep it on the boil. Below 6,000 RPM on this bike and it really doesn't respond (turbo-wise) that well..but you get the turbo spooled up..and you better be hangin' on, 'cause it LAUNCHES..just rippin' till it's 10,000 rpm redline. This 500cc twin will eat most bikes twice it's size for lunch in pure accleration from 60-135 mph. Passive if wanted..scarey fast if wanted. Turbos are a blast. I havn't driven the Turbo PT yet..'cause I know that I'll forever be dissapointed in my non-turbo PT's performance from that moment on.

Old 31 Jan 2003, 11:39 pm
Young Cruiser

in theory a stick is faster but driver ability plays a big role. on a stick you have more controle over the rpms. this gives you the ability to launch the car out of a corner or off the line quicker. the pt turbos peak hp is at 5000rpm. i run 2nd to 4500 then do a quick shift to third and run it to 5000 then hold on couse your ridin a rocket now when you slam it into fourth. with quick shifting you can reach those rpms faster with a stick. I believe on the 5 speeds thay should have put the rpm gauge front and center. i use it more then the speedo.