Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2004, 01:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Oil question

I'm going to Wal Mart today to get my jug-o-oil of Mobil 1 for my oil change. I can't remember what the manual said. Is it 5W30?
Also is there a difference between the turbo and the n/a when it comes to oil filters? I wouldn't think so, but I know the reference charts at Wal Mart will be no help if there is a difference. I'm sure they will only list the n/a version. Any part numbers by chance? Thanks.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 02:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

5w30 is the correct oil. also if you use the fram filter it is a ph3600. that will fit the turbo. If you do not use a fram use it as a cross over number.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 03:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. I have always used fram filters on my cars.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

I used to - read a very convincing study buy a guy who cut apart and studied various filters - Frams are now crap - they used to be good - wish I could find the article. Purolator and Wix were well made. I now buy K&N over internet, which was rated tops along with Mobil1 filters.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Jun 2004, 05:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Damn! I just got back and read this. All they had were Fram filters. Next time I know. Thanks.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 05:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DREAM2

I used to - read a very convincing study buy a guy who cut apart and studied various filters - Frams are now crap - they used to be good - wish I could find the article. Purolator and Wix were well made. I now buy K&N over internet, which was rated tops along with Mobil1 filters.
Is this the one you mean? http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 24 Jun 2004, 08:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just go ahead and use it. I am 50 years old and have had no problems at all with any engine oil/filter related problem with fram. I have had 10 cars in that time from a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 Six Pack) to what I drive now...a 2004 Pt Touring Edition with a turbo. No problem ever noted. Go to your local Dragstrip and see what most are using...FRAM...That goes from stock to a nitro-methan fueler. I dont think that they would risk engine damage from a poor oil filter. With that in mind I will not knock...Wix...Purolater...Mobil 1...Napa Gold or K&N. They are all very good filters also...Just use what you like.
Old 26 Jun 2004, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just saw this thread and was reading and realized something. The other day when I took my car and had the oil changed at the dealership, they put 10w30 in my Turbo. Is this going to affect my engine in any way? Also, I have not had mine for very long but I was wondering if the Dealer would use regular or synthetic oil for the Turbo? Thanks for any info!!!
Old 26 Jun 2004, 03:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

My dealer puts 5W50 Castrol syntec in my GT.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Jun 2004, 12:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

since it is summer time it will not hurt. You might see a slight decrease in gas milege. Just get your normal miles out of the oil and go back to 5w30 at your next change.