Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Break In schedule for new Turbo-Lite?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2004, 09:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Break In schedule for new Turbo-Lite?

Hi all,

Got the call from my dealer, I will be picking up my new PT later this week, target day is Wed.

Any suggestions on a break in schedule?

From reading this forum I have thought about the mods below to get the most bang fo the buck and best longevity for my PT.

At this point my plans are for a change to Mobil 1 and K&N filter, Turbo Timer from Hector, FIPK intake, does K&N make one for the turbo? (in CA so would like to stay CARB legal if possible) and then logging many miles while adding dash kit, chrome grill and various goodies as the wallet allows.

I have read where silencers are removed? what are they?

I would just a bit more exhaust note, a notch or two over stock, nothing loud and no drone at 3000 rpms. Any recomendations for mufflers?

Oh yeah, also need to install a MP3 player and will probably upgrade the speakers, I installed a Blaupunk MP3000 and speakers in my Saturn for $500 and very happy.

Glad I found the forum, will be a regalar member moving forward.

Located near San FRancisco in the East Bay, any fellow Cruisers nearby?

Mike

Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your owner's manual will tell you the first 60 miles or so are important. My turbo-lite was driven from Dublin down to Madera, and had 174 miles on it when I got it. The owner of the dealership drove it back himself. I hope he was careful. I cringe when I think of him trying to keep up with traffic on 580. Put the synthetic oil in right away. I waited until the first oil change, but wish I'd done it right away. I didn't baby it, but was careful for the first 1400 miles. I also put a drop-in K&N filter in it right away. It's going to be fun. Use regular gas, as there is no benefit to using premium.
I've had my turbo-lite for 3 months and have 8,000 miles on it already. It's most fun in the mountains.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike, I installed the items below and I will say the exhaust is louder than I expected. I keep it quite when the wife is with me but otherwise I let it rip! I have about the same distance into my place but as far as cool down of the turbo I figure if the fan isn't on it's ok to shut it down and cover it up. Welcome and happy cruising.
[?]
John