Advertisements
CrankShaft Sensor 05 cruiser, convertible GT Turbo 2.4L

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jhenley1991

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2017, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CrankShaft Sensor 05 cruiser, convertible GT Turbo 2.4L

I have an 05 PT cruiser convertible GT with the 2.4L Turbo. As I am sure you know the turbo engine set up is pretty different from the standard and I need to find the crankshaft sensor. (That is the code showing up)

However, would a faulty crankshaft sensor keep the car from turning on? (Turn the key, makes normal sound, and just keeps making the normal sound never actually catching/turning on) Any advice and instructions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CrankShaft Sensor 05 cruiser, convertible GT Turbo 2.4L

AFIK, a faulty sensor wouldn't keep it from cranking. You should remove your battery cables and battery and give them all a good cleaning. The reason I say remove the battery is you'll want to check the ground connections on the drivers fender and make sure they're clean and tight too. Sounds to me like you just have a loose or dirty ground somewhere. For the location, check this link. Location of the crankshaft position sensor on 2005 pt cruiser

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 31 Mar 2017 at 02:26 pm.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know if I am using the correct terminology for what the car is doing when I turn the key, but if it was a battery connection issue wouldn't I be getting something similar to how it sounds with a dead battery?

the Code on the car is reading out a check engine light for the crankshaft sensor, which someone explained to me is basically responsible for recognizing the engine is rotating and then sends a signal to start the car?

Also - is that posting for the regular PT or the 2.4L turbo as I think they are in different places? I'm not the most engine savvy person to begin with.
I'm in a bit of a pickle seeing as this is my only means of transportation and can't afford to take it to a shop right now. My main concern is fixing this only to find out I have a blown head gasket or something.

Last edited by Jhenley1991; 31 Mar 2017 at 03:34 pm.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 04:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

crank sensor should be located right behind the starter motor on the front bottom of the engine. turbo motors are not much different, just a turbo, piping, and forged rods with different compression piston heads. in some cars no crank senor would prevent starting if the car cant tell where the crank is. fix one problem at a time and you never know what will be fixed. sensor should be lile $20 from autozone. good luck.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 31 Mar 2017, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine's an 03 GT with the turbo. My crank sensor is right above the starter. Kind of a pain in the neck to change, I'll bet.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 May 2017, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorted it out, it was the crankshaft sensor preventing the car from turning over. However, when holding the key down for an extended period the car would eventually start. Crankshaft sensor is now replaced and car is running fine. (Well, not anymore but that is another issue I will be posting in another thread.)
rckstein likes this.

Tags
2.4l, crankshaft, crankshaft sensor, gt turbo, turbo