Advertisements
high idle after changing solenoid for transmission

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2017, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default high idle after changing solenoid for transmission

2003 pt turbo lets start 132,000 miles just drove it for 2000 miles to florida and back never had a problem mostly never downshifted much i first noticed it before i left but a little bump downshifting from 2 to 1 gear every thing i read was the trans solenoid i picked one up at a junk yard i figured it did not work i would put the old one in. even after chaging back to the original to my surprise it will go crazy with high idle really bad it sits at 1.5 rpms before it run just under 1 rpm what caused the idle to get so high the one i had before act as bad now

i am afraid to drive it now when trying to shift it jumps out of gear and spin real high untill i hit on the brakes then it jumps back in gear when idle or speed goes slower
there has to be simple i will put a old one in (transmission) if i need to but first i know someone had this happen to them

i forgot to mention no codes
well one gas cap

Last edited by roadmap; 04 Apr 2017 at 06:10 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2017, 10:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: high idle after changing solenoid for transmission

I never had that problem with 03 GT. And I changed the solenoid pack on it 3 frigging times. Are you sure you have the transmission sensors plugged in or did you even take them loose?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 07:31 am
Senior Cruiser

The solenoid pack is one item that I would not consider picking up at the junkyard. While its true you might get lucky and get a low mile and/or clean and/or relatively new recently replaced unit, the chances are slim to none.
NitroPT and chuzz like this.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 01:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Myckee it right. That's why I had to go back twice. Unfortunately, there's no way to check the mileage on them at the junkyard. I didn't pay much attention to the color of the fluid that came out of the first one I grabbed and it was kind of a funky red/brown color. It didn't work. The second one I grabbed, I actually dropped the trans pan and checked it and then got the solenoid. Live and learn. The second one worked fine for me, but cost me time and gas money for two trips.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.