Advertisements
pt cruiser turbo catalytic converter replacement

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris_TurbosUnleashed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2017, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt cruiser turbo catalytic converter replacement

Looking for info on what you chose for your replacement, brand name, did it fit well, cost. where to buy
Old 18 Apr 2017, 06:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser turbo catalytic converter replacement

Check you states emission regulations for CAT if a universal is ok to use. If so most any from Summit or Jeggs will work just fine.

If you have strict state CAT requirements than you may need to get a Auto wreaking yard OEM replacement or a exception certification to use an aftermarket universal CAT replacement.

http://sacramentoraceway.com/
ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 18 Apr 2017, 10:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stault View Post
Looking for info on what you chose for your replacement, brand name, did it fit well, cost. where to buy
First, I concur with Nitro. I don't want a fight with him here.

I pretty well do almost all my own mechanic work no matter what it is. However, I've found that catalytic converter replacement is often cheaper at a muffler shop. The reason is that the shop will keep several universal types in stock. They just cut your old one out and weld the replacement in. It often takes them under an hour to do the whole job. The total bill may be less or similar to the price you or I might pay just for a replacement converter at the parts store.

As already stated, you should likely check your state's laws on catalytic converters. Federal laws on these do exist but are usually delegated to the state for enforcement under the individual state statutes. In Arkansas, you cannot resale a used converter. So getting one from a salvage yard is out. However, Arkansas has no method of enforcement for owners removing their own converters. So removal is often the action of choice here. It's also possible to remove the converter, knock the guts out and then reinstall it. This may or may not include mounting the downstream oxygen sensor on an extension if the gutted converting or replacement pipe causes it to throw a trouble code.

But my first questions is why do you believe your catalytic converter is bad?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Apr 2017 at 10:48 pm.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 04:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had a cat code and I ended up putting a sparkplug extension on the co2 sensor , no more problem with the check engine light, but I have an inspection coming up in June , I live in Pennsylvania . The car runs ok, it's a 2003 with 90000 miles. I did see a youtube video about checking the cat with a IR thermometer so I bought one and I think mine read the same temperature before and aft the converter and it was supposed to be a couple hundred deg's hotter after the cat if working correctly
Old 19 Apr 2017, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd say the inlet/outlet temp difference should be more around 100 degrees but it's likely different on different cars.

Most of the time, a bad converter either gets plugged or the catalytic material breaks up and gets caught further down in the exhaust. These failures often cause exhaust blockage. But a converter can get "fouled" where the catalytic material gets coated with carbon, lead or another residue due to bad fuel, bad fuel/air ratio or a coolant leak into the cylinders. At least, that's what I've seen.

I have no idea how stringent the emissions testing is in Pennsylvanian. If there are no codes and if using that "special" emissions testing fuel, the car may pass as it is. To me I see three paths forward.

First is going to a shop, have the emissions tested and see if it passes as is. Second, preemptively have the converter replaced. This may or may not be needed. And third, have a shop with the equipment perform diagnostic testing to see if the converter is actually ineffective. While the last option is likely the best, if me as a DIY guy, I'd pick my course of action based on cost.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 02:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I live in PA and If there are no codes, car passes emission. Haven't seen any local mechanics get under the car to check for mods.

Only see one cat come apart on a 03 Bronco and plug the secondary cat which was not monitored.
Bad Coils dumping raw fuel into exhaust will cause damage to cats, it will get to hot. Bad thing about that Bronco V6 was the exhaust manifolds were like welded headers which also house the cats, Ouch, Mucho $$$$$ denaro
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just a quick warning, make sure the replacement catalytic converter has the correct inlet size. For a turbocharged vehicle it must be 2.5". Non-Turbo is 2.25" which is about a 25% restriction.

Since the turbocharged PT Cruisers came out a few years after the vehicles were first introduced many aftermarket converter companies didn't bother changing their design. Using the non-turbo cat will hurt performance, gas mileage and shorten the life of the turbo.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 26 Apr 2017, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I bet some regret now not doing better in math in school now before making opened ended statements?

I am not not going to go through the list of all the formulas and calculations you need to to take into account before making some statements I just read in this thread. Lets not forget to mention the laws of thermodynamics.

http://sacramentoraceway.com/
ADHD=Auto Detailing & Hotrodding Dude
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I bet some regret now not doing better in math in school now before making opened ended statements?

I am not not going to go through the list of all the formulas and calculations you need to to take into account before making some statements I just read in this thread. Lets not forget to mention the laws of thermodynamics.

Thermodynamics was taken into account and it did increase restriction. What were your numbers and how did you calculate them?

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 01 May 2017, 10:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
Using the non-turbo cat will hurt performance, gas mileage and shorten
the life of the turbo.
Nope... Just make sure it's state compliant

The "Three Amigos" (And Growing)
Performace, Body and Service, OEM
"Team Amigos FREE Parts!! PM me for details!!