Gearbox weird sound in 3rd gear PT GT

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Gearbox weird sound in 3rd gear PT GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First, I've never played with a Getrag 288S. But I have worked on lots of manual transmission from years gone by.

There's a chance this is just a misaligned shifting fork. It's possible that the shift linkage bushings are worn and causing a misalignment while in third gear. This is something easy and inexpensive to check out before going into the transmission shop. I'd inspect and possibly change out these inexpensive and often worn bushings before taking my PT to a shop.
Can this job be done without taking the gearbosx off the car? Can you be more explicit? Thank's
I've changed the fluid
Old 05 Jun 2017, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian View Post
Can this job be done without taking the gearbosx off the car? Can you be more explicit? Thank's
I've changed the fluid
Here you go:

Cristian likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2017, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the video, but this is not my gearbox issue. The bushings are ok. I have that weird sound only in 3rd gear only when i accelerate and the sound is ascending while i accelerate. The second i raise my foot off the gas, the sound stops. I accelerate again and it starting again. Only in 3rd gear. Thats why i gues it must be some bearing inside the gearbox. In Romania it's hard to find a second hand 2.4 turbo gearbox, beacause i believe my pt it's the only 2.4 gt in the country, but there are a lot of 2.2 diesel. I was thinking that if i will need to replace the gearbox, tu replace it with a getrag288 from a diesel pt cruiser. The sound il like a mosquito traped in a spider net if you know what i mean...
Old 05 Jun 2017, 06:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Most won't know the answer to that due to we don't have the diesel PT's in America. But I have heard that's where the GT trans came from so I don't see why you couldn't get it to work.

2004 PT GT 5-Speed! Project "THE RIDDLER"!!!
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-5-speed.html
Old 06 Jun 2017, 02:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

In this pictures are the diferences of gear ratios 2.2 diesel/2.4 turbo
How will these differences affect, the start of the car, from 0 to 60mph, the consumption and the maximum speed? Does anyone have any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170606-092422.jpg (21.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Cristian; 06 Jun 2017 at 02:26 am.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 03:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's just a shorter gearing, so it should help it a little on the 0-60 pull. Honestly it's really not going to make a huge difference. But I personally would love to get my hands on one of those 🤔
Cristian likes this.

2004 PT GT 5-Speed! Project "THE RIDDLER"!!!
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-5-speed.html
Old 30 Jun 2017, 05:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

drop the pan and check the magnet inside the pan or put one at the low point in case there isn't one... however keep in mind one bad gear usually means 2, or what ever gear it mates with on the other shaft and like mentioned, the forks..
Cristian likes this.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 05:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

technically with these cars, i was told by UptownSport, our resident(but MIA) trans guru, metal on the magnet was normal in these. the magnet is internal to the case, so no pan to remove, the case would need to be opened to access it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
here is a pic of the magnet at the bottom of the trans case, before and after wiping it off. lots of crap stuck to it, but all very fine particles. i wiped it off with my fingers and it felt fine like cinnamon, no chunks at all. 250,000 miles i'd say that's pretty good. weird magnet in these cars. it's soft an flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
The magnet is perfectly normal, perhaps slightly less than an average trans.
If you take it apart 150,000 miles later, it'll have nothing on it- It's all from break-in.
Old 30 Jun 2017, 11:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'd love to have one of those 2.2 g288. As is. It has a better 1St and 2Nd, making for a better launch; if you have traction. Ideally you would want the Quaife posi to make use of those better gears. And the overdrive is better too, so you would be able to achieve a higher top speed as well as improved cruising fuel economy. I wish we had access to those 2.2 diesel transmissions here. I wonder if the gears are still available from the dealer. If nothing else, I would like to have the better overdrive gear.
Cristian likes this.
Old 01 Jul 2017, 07:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

It's a neat idea but the 2.2crd has 121hp and 220tq. I know when tremec made a stronger version of the T5, they changed the gears in the same way you see on the pt gt trans. Taller first spaced closer to second. I read that this helped them increase tq capacity. May or may not be true but it's something to consider.