Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best service manual ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2004, 01:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Best service manual ?

Well, just got my Touring Turbo Lite home, now I want to learn more.

Which service manual do you reccomend, DC, or aftermarket?

Also, just need a quick answer, but I have read a lot about the BOV, does the stock motor have one? why would I replace it? or if I am just running stock plus intake, do I need to ?

thanks

Mike
Old 01 Jul 2004, 02:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

The DC books are great. I use them everyday. There are three or four books. A main service manual, a powertrain, a body, and maybe one other.
The PT's do have a blow-off valve. When you let off the gas, all the boost from the turbo is left in the intercooler and charge pipes. The blow-off valve allows it to go somewhere. In our factory setup, it feeds back through the compressor side of the turbo, and out the air filter. This causes the turbo to slow down between shifts. Also, puts somewhat if minimal, stress on the turbo. The Mopar BOV bolts in between the turbo housing and the factory blowoff valve. It allows the pressure to be vented into the atmosphere, instead of through the turbo. It makes a whooshing, whisper, paashhhhhh, kinda sound. And it is loud. I love it, some others may not. I believe it is the neatest sound a car can make. But, to each his/her own. You don't really NEED one, but, you don't NEED one of the most fun vehicles to customize either.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 01 Jul 2004, 05:28 am
Cool Cruiser

You can get the Mopar manual on CD for around $80. People are copying it and selling for less on e-bay, but I don't like that. The nice thing on the CD manual, print the page you want, if you get it all cruddy, toss it. You allways have a fresh copy.
Tom
Old 01 Jul 2004, 01:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

I want it! do you have the part number for the Mopar BOV? is it a DIY install?

Can't wait!

Mike

ps thanks for the BOV primer, it all makes sense now.