Advertisements
Trouble with trouble lights!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2017, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trouble with trouble lights!

About a month ago we started having trouble with my wife's 2004 PT cruiser turbo model. The car has about 150,000 miles so it's getting pretty tired, but we can't afford to buy anything new. The issues began on the way home from work when the car quit running on her. She was able to restart it and get it home, so I started checking it out with my limited ability to diagnose mechanical problems. The check engine light was on. Also the brake light, trac off life, and ABS lights. I flipped the key to access the trouble code and it came up as indicating there was a problem with the number one fuel injector. At that point I was pretty depressed because I was envisioning a pretty big repair bill ahead.

I took the car into my usual mechanic who is very good and I trust completely. They took a couple days to look into it and told me they suspected the computer was bad. I had replaced the ECM a few years ago with a remanufactured unit that I purchased from a company called All Computer Recources in Miami, Florida. At that time my mechanic wanted like $1200 to put in a new one, and after researching online I thought it was pretty easy to do so I bought a new ECM from the company in Florida via eBay, and put it in myself. The car ran fine for several years until these recent problems.

At the time I bought that unit I discovered a local company call Alltek that specializes in these sort of electronic issues, in fact I had them check my old computer before I sent it in to All Computer Resources per their purchase terms, and they verified that it was in fact bad. This time they told me they thought it was the wrong computer for the car since my car does not have an ABS system. I thought that was odd because it it ran fine for a couple of years. However, I gave my local Chrysler dealer the VIN number and they did verify that the car does not have an ABS system.

I checked my paperwork from the remanufactured unit and noticed it had a lifetime warranty. So I sent that one back to Florida, and about a week or so later they sent me a new one. I installed it but there doesn't seem to be any change in the warning lights. The trouble code now comes up as 0499 and I read online that this can sometimes arise when the gas cap is not secure. I try to make sure it was tight, but the code persists. I understand it might take a few cycles for the computer to clear that code but I'm thinking about buying a new gas cap just to make sure that that's still not an issue.

So far the car seems to run OK but my worry are these lights on the dashboard. I suspect there's some sort of an electrical fault somewhere which will be difficult for me to track down as I'm not a mechanic. My next-door neighbor is, and he offered to bring home the code reader so that might shed some light on the issue, but otherwise I'm a total loss as to how to proceed.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble with trouble lights!

The only advice that I have is if your neighbor is offering to bring home the scanner, take advantage and let him take a look.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 23 Jul 2017, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My neighbor did bring the code reader but it just confirmed the P0499 code.

A Chrysler mechanic advised the following concerning the Trac off, Brake, and ABS lights:

"If it isn't equipped with ABS then the lights are coming on because the instrument cluster was sent data that the vehicle is equipped with ABS but it does not see an ABS module communicating in the bus. This was usually caused by a bad keyless entry module, the RKE module and instrument cluster would need to be replaced together to repair it."
Old 23 Jul 2017, 05:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

That sounds odd to me. I am not a certified Mopar tech, so I can't deny this claim. If you need to replace these together, you might get lucky and find a Cruiser in a U-pull-it yard with the parts needed.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 23 Jul 2017, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper57 View Post
My neighbor did bring the code reader but it just confirmed the P0499 code.

A Chrysler mechanic advised the following concerning the Trac off, Brake, and ABS lights:

"If it isn't equipped with ABS then the lights are coming on because the instrument cluster was sent data that the vehicle is equipped with ABS but it does not see an ABS module communicating in the bus. This was usually caused by a bad keyless entry module, the RKE module and instrument cluster would need to be replaced together to repair it."
P0499 is Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High. This means that the PCM has detected strange amounts of pressure in the evaporative emissions system. Your Chrysler tech obviously didn't see the "P" in front of the code.

If me, I'd clear the code with the reader, drive the car and see if it returns. The gas cap usually doesn't cause this one. I'd guess a bad vent solenoid or its leads if it returns. But there's a diagnostic procedure a mechanical can follow to chase this rat down.

You can download a copy of the service manual for your PT here from my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Jul 2017 at 09:04 pm.