Advertisements
Clutch issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDK52

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2017, 01:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch issue

Hey all I just got a 03 PT GT turbo with what the owner thought was the clutch shot. The car goes into gear when off and of course doesn't when running. What I found weird is on my other cars I have had with a clutch is when you push on the clutch you can usually "feel" the pressure plate rotating or some kind of light vibration from the clutch. On this car I feel nothing. Almost like the tension I feel is just the spring for the clutch pedal.

Do these cars have cables for the clutch pedal that can snap? I was thinking if so then that may have snapped or the master or slave cylinders may not be working. The owner said it was fine then when he tried to leave work he pushed the clutch in and nothing.

I am new to these cars but not new to modding or rebuilding cars so I just wanted advice to learn about this car. They are really neat looking cars and wanted this as a sleeper lol

Oh the car has 120K on it and the timing belt, water pump, cam sensor, oil pan gasket have been changed. Also it does have a small rear main seal leak that I need to fix to.

Thanks!
Old 14 Aug 2017, 08:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch issue

These cars have hydraulic clutches. They also use a dual mass flywheel, which can be pricey if it needs to be replaced. The clutch and pressure plate are around $150 USD or so. If you have a clutch shop nearby, and if the dual mass flywheel is not shot, then you can have it resurfaced for much less than the $300-400 for a new one.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:42 am
Cool Cruiser

I just got a GT Manual as well and I don't feel anything besides the tension in the pedal. It is hydraulic, so I guess most of the feel is lost there. The Getrag trans does seem to be a very tactile transmission. I can easily tell when the clutch grabs and switching gears you can feel everything, popping out of gear, pressing against syncros, popping into gear. As far as feeling the pedal vibrating I don't. I'd start your search in the hydraulic lines.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys! I will start looking at the lines on it and see if they are leaking or even broke. If all else fails then I will pull the transmission and replace the clutch. This motor is stuffed in here and looks like a bit of work to get the clutch done
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm
Young Cruiser

You might want to check the hydraulic fluid reservoir as well.
(If your car has a separate reservoir)
Low fluid level would indicate a leak in the slave or master.

There are times a master cylinder can have a worn internal seal that will not build pressure and actuate the slave -

This is a good read:

03 Turbo clutch bleeding

It would be nice if just some fluid added did some good.
Forte5t likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! That's what it feels like. It's like I only feel spring pressure from the pedals spring if that makes sense