Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By cromagnondan
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2017, 02:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0171 - Is it Turbo Time?

2005 Turbo Lite Convertible. 140K miles. New water pump and timing belt and Daddy's been having fun with his toy until this. There's always an "until this". The P0171 code was thrown. 'Lean' meaning too much air. Performance sluggish. Louder than normal exhaust noise under the hood. Gas fumes noticeable. (Probably dumping gas to compensate for too much air.) Today, I pulled the exhaust shield and went looking for an exhaust leak. I found it. Exhaust is leaking along this seam.

I'm thinking that the best way to make sure there's no leak is the pull the turbo and the exhaust manifold, and since I've no history on the vehicle, its probably the right time to replace the turbo.

What do y'all think?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: P0171 - Is it Turbo Time?

Why in the hell would you replace the turbo because of a gasket leak? You should check the turbo for excessive play and if so, either rebuild it or replace it. If there's no side to side (or up and down) play in it, I'd leave it alone. BUT, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Mechanic like some members here are, so wait and see if they respond and what they say!

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 17 Aug 2017, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Why in the hell would you replace the turbo because of a gasket leak? You should check the turbo for excessive play and if so, either rebuild it or replace it. If there's no side to side (or up and down) play in it, I'd leave it alone. BUT, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Mechanic like some members here are, so wait and see if they respond and what they say!
Yes, I think you are right. When I wrote that I was thinking that the only way to get to the gasket was to take off the turbo. I just have to take off the lower heat shield. The "logic" of replacing the turbo is the same "logic" that applies to the timing belt and water pump. If one has to take it all apart, one may as well put in new parts. So, I think you have answered the question. The 'gasket' can be replaced. No need to touch the turbo.
rockandroller and Azrak like this.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I be an ASE Certified Mechanic and a Licensed Watewell Driller. Listen to Chuzz.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromagnondan View Post
Yes, I think you are right. When I wrote that I was thinking that the only way to get to the gasket was to take off the turbo. I just have to take off the lower heat shield. The "logic" of replacing the turbo is the same "logic" that applies to the timing belt and water pump. If one has to take it all apart, one may as well put in new parts. So, I think you have answered the question. The 'gasket' can be replaced. No need to touch the turbo.
Didn't mean to sound harsh, man. No harm intended. I was just wondering why a gasket leak would be cause to even consider the expense of replacing a turbo, if there's nothing wrong with it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie

Tags
exhaust, exhaust leak, p0171, turbo, turbo replacement