Advertisements
Spark Plug Help needed

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2017, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Spark Plug Help needed

Hi,

I'm trying to buy spark plugs for my 2005 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo. It is my first car and my brother is going to replace the spark plugs for me. I just have to figure our which ones fit to buy them. Would any of the following fit:
NGK (7548) BR9EYA V-Power Spark Plugs
NGK (7090-4PK) BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug
NGK (7397-4PK) TR5IX Iridium IX Spark Plug

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 27 Aug 2017, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark Plug Help needed

Welcome to the forum.

If you get a chance, please go to our WELCOME thread and introduce yourself and your PT to the rest of the forum members.

As for your question, check out this thread on plugs...

04 turbo plugs?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 28 Aug 2017 at 11:05 am. Reason: Edited because of NitroPT who wants to control everything on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If anyone has the Plastic intake on a PT Cruiser Turbo Model 2.4 USA gasoline engine I DO NOT RECOMMEND to change the spark plugs any other way except to remove the upper intake. It is to easy even with lots of experience ,being careful and having all the tools to do it to unknowing;ly break a spark plug which may not be apparent at first.

As for Spark Plug suggestions , there is really no need or advantage to having to buy anything except Champion copper #470
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If anyone has the Plastic intake on a PT Cruiser Turbo Model 2.4 USA gasoline engine I DO NOT RECOMMEND to change the spark plugs any other way except to remove the upper intake. It is to easy even with lots of experience ,being careful and having all the tools to do it to unknowing;ly break a spark plug which may not be apparent at first.

As for Spark Plug suggestions , there is really no need or advantage to having to buy anything except Champion copper #470
Why would you break a plug? Are you talking about cause people are using a wobble extension or not getting straight in? IIRC, on my '03 (aluminum intake) the socket was straight up and down as long as I had the right length of extension. Had to drop the socket in and then put the extension and ratchet.

Couldn't an '05 have the composite intake, which would need the upper to removed anyway?

I'm also not sure why rkstein thinks that it is easier to do the plug wires if you remove the plenum? I mean it is, but it's so easy on the aluminum manifold to change them with it in place that is no deciding factor. I thought for sure he was going to mention the valve cover gasket.

+1 on the spark plugs with Nitro
Use whatever makes you feel better, but there isn't any real advantage to all those weird/extra electrode designs. As for the other metals, their advantage is in how long they last. These aren't hard to change, even removing the upper plenum, so just change them more often if you are worried about it. Platinum and iridium are more important for cars like '98 Camaros where the engine is under the windshield and it is near impossible to change them. In the old days people used to fear the platinum or other coatings flaking off under high boost, but that probably isn't a thing anymore.

Last edited by Fk5; 28 Aug 2017 at 10:50 am.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_wardrobe View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to buy spark plugs for my 2005 Pt Cruiser GT Turbo. It is my first car and my brother is going to replace the spark plugs for me. I just have to figure our which ones fit to buy them. Would any of the following fit:
NGK (7548) BR9EYA V-Power Spark Plugs
NGK (7090-4PK) BKR5EGP G-Power Spark Plug
NGK (7397-4PK) TR5IX Iridium IX Spark Plug

Thanks in advance!!!

Changing the plugs with the turbo composite intake (like on most 2005 GT's) is no big deal for a DIY person. First, remove the vanity cover. Then use a real quality spark plug socket with a 3/8 universal joint behind it and it's easy. However, removing the intake plenum is going to be more dummy proof. Some of my son's buddies are dealership technicians and they are pretty well knuckleheads. We all were at that age, I guess. And that's who the service manual was written for.

Just remember that it's a soft aluminum head. Use anti-seize on the new plugs and the torque is 156 in-lbs. Harbor Freight has a sale on 3/8 torque wrenches right now too. At least they do in my area.

You can download the service manual from my Google Drive here. As a former knucklehead, I sometimes find it useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

I like the NKG V-Power Spark Plugs. I've had very good luck with these in almost all vehicles. I think the Iridium plugs are cool, but I personally don't believe the more expensive plugs give you any real advantage for an everyday driver.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
ShinerJohn likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Aug 2017 at 09:49 am.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 11:54 am
Cool Cruiser

I just got Champion Coppers part no 470 at autozone.

Autolite came to my school and did a big seminar on spark plugs. The short version, the more expensive the plug the longer it lasts, but it is slightly worse for a good spark event. The reason being, the metals that last longer don't conduct as well, copper is a very good conductor, but they don't coat it in as good of protective metals and it doesn't last as long.
Note the double platinum is only useful over regular platinum if you have a waste-spark system because of how the waste-spark system works. Normal systems gain no benefit to the added cost.

Will you notice a difference in HP between plugs..... no.... Did I shave .500 seconds off my 1/8th mile times by switching to copper.... Maybe.... It could be other factors....Your mileage may vary.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 28 Aug 2017, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with the Champion copper core plugs as originally suggested by Nitro. EVERY Mopar I've ever had except the Chrysler 200 ran better with Champions.
The 200 used NGK. Of course, it had the 2.4 world engine, NOT the Mopar 2.4 that the PT's have.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 29 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
I just got Champion Coppers part no 470 at autozone.

waste-spark system works. Normal systems gain no benefit to the added cost.

Will you notice a difference in HP between plugs..... no.... Did I shave .500 seconds off my 1/8th mile times by switching to copper.... Maybe.... It could be other factors....Your mileage may vary.
Great response UnitD77

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree with the Champion copper core plugs as originally suggested by Nitro. EVERY Mopar I've ever had except the Chrysler 200 ran better with Champions.
The 200 used NGK. Of course, it had the 2.4 world engine, NOT the Mopar 2.4 that the PT's have.
The PT Cruiser USA 2.4 is a waste spark system as is my other 2 engines in my BMW/MINI MCS.

I started using only standard copper spark plugs about 13 years ago for the MCS finding that on a oscilloscope they showed much better data at all engine speeds. The primary reason I use #470 on the PT Cruiser and During a full season of racing I will go through dozens of them. And yes they WILL keep you consistent with your ET if you do you between run preparations. Also I have noted that they do show a better burn when properly reading a spark plug during a power pull. I have also noted many times that I have also had my PT Cruiser on an oscilloscope testing different engine mods and found the same info as I did with the MCS engines comparing a few different spark plugs. I might add for optimum engine output the best spark plug gap using a Champion #470 in a PT Cruiser is .042. Anyone can easily verify this by changing the spark plugs and doing a idle to 6000 rpm run while connected to an oscilloscope and then reduce the gap by .010 and watch the dip. I realize the argument can be that every engine is different and variables can change results however the .042 with #470 used in a PT Cruiser I am sure anyone would find the same results!
I may also add that the reports of Turbo Charged engines burn them up is not accurate. But that may be for another day debate?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170829_090456edit.jpg (59.9 KB, 48 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice write up by Nitro. ^^^

I'd like to see the same test done with the NGK V Power Copper spark plugs. I suspect the good oscilloscope (not car) performance has more to do with the sacrificial nature of the copper than the brand name of the plug.

I'm still not convinced of the quality of modern Champion plugs. After reading good reports here, I recently tried another set of Champions in my V4 Wisconsin engine that powers my core driller. They fouled in less than a day. I then replaced them with Autolites (only other plug for the Wisconsin readily available where I was at the time). And I've drilled seven projects since then on the Autolites without any plug problems whatsoever. This is the same type of bad experience I've too often had with Champions in the past.

Now I know PT's don't have V4 Wisconsin engines with updraft carburetors and Colt Arms ignition systems. But you would think plugs for both would be made with the same quality. On on up side, the original Champions plugs in my Dodge Quadcab lasted around 240,000 miles. And other than huge gaps and burned down electrodes, they still seemed fine. Engine has always ran great. And most of my past bad experiences with Champion plugs were in motorcycles and industrial engines of one type or another where no other brand of spark plug was available where I lived.

In the end, I'm not personally convinced that Champion plugs are better or even as good as some other major brands of plugs, such as NKG, when all things are equal. After a few dozen bad experiences with them, it gets hard to change your opinion. But hey, companies change and opinions should as well. So I'm open to the idea.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Aug 2017 at 03:20 pm.

Tags
2005 automatic, spark plugs, turbo gt