Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Gas Mileage of 11.3 MPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2017, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad Gas Mileage of 11.3 MPG

I have noticed lately that my car has been getting horrible gas mileage. I checked the gas mileage meter on the dash behind the steering wheel and it now says about 11.3. It started off at about 15 MPG and continually went down until this point.

In the past I have had a "lean" code that I had checked at AutoZone. My mechanic noticed the engine sweating and saw that the valve cover gaskets were leaking oil so he changed the gaskets and resealed them. The CEL turned off. Before he did this however, I thought it was probably the spark plugs and wires. I changed them, and when I took them out of the spark plug wells, they were covered in oil. My mechanic said he cleaned out the wells and the spark plugs before finishing up.

Now, I'm getting fuel problems again. My CEL hasn't come on since it turned off after the valve cover gaskets were resealed. It has been getting worse and worse as I had previously mentioned. I don't understand what's going on. I know a lot of things can cause fuel problems but I thought I'd detail my story here and see if I can get a more narrow diagnosis. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?
Old 07 Sep 2017, 07:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Gas Mileage of 11.3 MPG

a lean code and poor gas mileage is commonly caused by a problem with an oxygen sensor reading. it can be caused by an exhaust leak, and cracks in cast iron exhaust manifolds are very common.

for example, here's nitros cracked manifold:
Capture.jpg

air gets in the crack(or any exhaust leak) and dilutes the exhaust, the o2 reads the diluted mix and since it's got more air in the pipe, it reads as LEAN, it's not really lean, but because it reads lean, the car adds extra fuel. the computer dumps fuel to fix the o2 reading and then the runs rich(but thinks it's running right). when it can no longer increase the fuel trim to fix what the o2's see, the car throws a lean code.

if you are able to check thoroughly for exhaust leaks, that is where i would start(because it is free).

i'm assuming you have a 2008 PT turbo since you mentioned 2008 in a different thread and you posted this in the turbo section

Last edited by rob302; 07 Sep 2017 at 07:12 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 07:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

thread from someone here i look up to:
Bad Fuel Economy? You might check your Exhaust Manifold (pic)

more:
https://www.google.com/search?client...haust+manifold

my recommendation comes from personal experience on my ford. i had a cracked emissions solenoid causing the smog pump to inject extra air 2ft after the cat, and the o2's were sensitive enough to see it and throw a lean code, making it run rich. i picked up 7mpg when i fixed it

Last edited by rob302; 07 Sep 2017 at 07:39 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll have to check this out. Do I have to take the manifold completely off?
Old 07 Sep 2017, 08:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

i have never had a turbo PT so i can't really tell you. the cracks in the link to the NA cars you would be able to see with only the heat shield removed.

maybe someone with a turbo can chime in?