PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sound Deadening

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2017, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sound Deadening

My PT is loud. I feel everything and I hear everything. Anyone else notice how PT's have horrible sound deadening? Where's the best places to put sound insulation material besides the doors (I got aftermarket speakers and I will need to insulate the rattles)? Is there a way I can put some under the carpet or is that too much of a hassle?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 06:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Sound Deadening

im contemplating the same thing.. i plan to do the floor and probably all doors and rear hatch ..
2016 pair of seadoo sparks 90ho
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:05 am
Cool Cruiser

The GT's and maybe the limited came with extra deadening. The wheel wells in the rear have extra stuff I noticed when installing the mopar sub. As far as anything else, firewall and floor under the driver are gonna be the most effective.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 11 Sep 2017, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT Cruiser is normally noticeably noisy car. It was the second highest complaint when they first came out. Chrysler only did a few things to reduce the noise. No PT Cruiser came from the factory with more noise reducing elements from one model to the other. I am not sure there was even a noise reducing package you could order?

A few of the more radical audiophiles on this forum and a few other PT Cruiser media posting area's on the internet have gone to extreme with removing the complete interior and installing sound reducing material.

Tires have a great effect on how much road noise will be herd. Also staying with softer suspension and not upgrading in any way when replacing suspension parts.

PERFROMANCE PARTS ENGINEER
"not a Professional Engineer"
Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 11 Sep 2017, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalebSikora View Post
My PT is loud. I feel everything and I hear everything. Anyone else notice how PT's have horrible sound deadening? Where's the best places to put sound insulation material besides the doors (I got aftermarket speakers and I will need to insulate the rattles)? Is there a way I can put some under the carpet or is that too much of a hassle?
I've put insulation beneath the carpet on a number of cars. I've used everything from moving blankets to foam carpet pad. It does work to some degree. And using foam carpet pad and shag carpet in an old 1960's car often works great.

But it takes an awful lot of things to really deaden the sound in a noisy car. Good tires and a good alignment will pretty well kill much of the road noise in a PT Cruiser. Makes a big difference. As far as the rest, it's going to be hard to really get it quiet. Better to just put the sunroof in the vent position and turn up the stereo. And to make a PT really sound good, throw in some Arkansas-born Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Pharoah Sanders, Amy Lee or Ben Moody.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2017 at 02:03 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 02:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

you can add (3/8-1/2" thick )sound deadening matting to the inside of the plastic wheel well liners. you can also add it to the rear portions of the unibody/firewall area behind the fender, and same in the back. quieter tires are a plus. a shorter antenna. if you have a roof rack, move it to the rear most position, etc.. wheel bearings can be a LOUD source of noise if left unchecked.

what kind of noise are you trying to quash? tire noise? road noise? wind noise? ambient noise? each has a different approach.

i usually remove all insulation, so i can hear what noises each allows into the cabin. i was surprised to find that i could hear my throwout bearing after removing the firewall matting in my ford. i like noise though, i have a better idea of what the car is thinking.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To bad there is no *Rattle can fuzzy stuff??

On a few higher quality manufactured vehicles they use material to not only reduce the debris picked up by the tires but also to help reduce the over all road noise.

* There are actually some good Rattle can product that do well reducing road noise on the under carrige and wheel wells.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170912_143554_resize.jpg (57.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20170912_143610_resize.jpg (97.4 KB, 44 views)

PERFROMANCE PARTS ENGINEER
"not a Professional Engineer"
Engineers are people who design, construct and test structures, materials and systems
while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, regulation, safety, and cost.

& ase =Already Seriously Experienced
RICE(r)Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements
Old 13 Sep 2017, 02:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I'm going to install a good sound system. I need some of those mats to reduce rattles. I'll probably line the doors (even hatch), the dashboard, and under the carpets.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Forget any ideas about foam rubber, spray foam, carpets tra la la. You're wasting your money and effort. You'll get some, but only very minor soundproofing from them, because to insulate against sound, you need weight and density.

Heavy grade bitumen adhesive backed roof flashing works reasonably well in layers - as do the thick rubber building insulation mats if you can get them.

To really soundproof the car interior, you'll need to take the dashboard and fascia out to get to the firewall from the interior side. There's too much stuff planted on it under the bonnet to allow effective blocking, which you ideally want to be one continual sheet of insulation with minimal holes etc for wires and components.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't think it's that loud. Compared to everything I have except my Imperials it is downright quiet. I will say that when I removed the rear seats and even with the rear seats in with the removable package tray out it is noticeably noisier. Normally you can hardly hear the fuel pump in my car, but with the seats out it is quite buzzy.