PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP! 03 GT Radiator fans not actualizing

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Sep 2017, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP! 03 GT Radiator fans not actualizing

I'm a new member here but long time lurker.
I have seen the many threads about the 03 GT fan issues. My radiator fan does not turn on regardless of the A/C being on or not, I purchased a new aftermarket fan, it did not fix the problem.
I replaced the ECU(mileage and VIN flashed into it) still the fan does not turn on, any suggestions?

Also i did look at the grounds that i could see in the engine bay and they all seemed solid, ASD relay swapped with horn relay and ASD fuse checked but still no go. Does anyone know of all the grounds to look for? if so can you pin point them please? i'm not too familiar with the pt gt platform, only familiar with srt4.

thanks a million
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! 03 GT Radiator fans not actualizing

To the right of the air box...

Unbolt the grounds, just don't look at them..take them off & check.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
To the right of the air box...

Unbolt the grounds, just don't look at them..take them off & check.
thank you for that^^^ i did see the one but didnt see the other. I will check that. thanks again.

any others that i should look for?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the wiring harness above the passenger side front tire, the clip breaks on the early PT's & causes it to drop & rub on the half shaft.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Check the wiring harness above the passenger side front tire, the clip breaks on the early PT's & causes it to drop & rub on the half shaft.
Interesting! I didn't know a harness ran through the passenger wheel well. I will look into it. Thank you!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are there any codes being generated? Have you inspected the connector which plugs into the fan? Are you sure all 4 terminals are making good contact in the connector? I can't remember which of those smaller two wires in the connector it is, but if you disconnect it and leave the others plugged in, it will trigger a p0480 code and the fan will run continuously on high. I experienced that when one of those msall pins was corroded on my car and had turned green from oxidation. It was like it wasn't connected and then the code came and the fan running on high. Once I cleaned the contacts, the fan worked correctly.

just something to check and you could try disconnecting one of those wires as a test too.

If you have a higher end scanner which had the ability to activate and deactivate individual components, you could try activating the fan and see if it comes on that way.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 11:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Isn't there two relays in the power dist box? One for high and one for low speeds??
Old 29 Sep 2017, 11:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldthom View Post
Isn't there two relays in the power dist box? One for high and one for low speeds??
The 2003 Pt Cruiser GT does not have radiator fan relays. The radiator fan is a variable speed fan only for 2003 Pt Cruiser GT.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 11:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some members have fixed this issue with replacing the engine coolant sensor.

Turbo Radiator Fan

The radiator cooling fan is a variable speed electric motor driven fan. The radiator fan assembly includes an electric motor, fan blade, and a support shroud that is attached to the radiator. The radiator fan is serviced as an assembly (fan motor/fan/shroud).

The variable speed radiator fan is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal. The duty cycle ranges from 30% for low speed operation then ramps-up to 100% for high-speed operation. This fan control system provides infinitely variable fan speeds, allowing for improved fan noise, A/C performance, better engine cooling, and additional vehicle power.

To control radiator fan operation, the PCM looks at inputs from:

Engine coolant temperature
A/C pressure transducer
Ambient temperature
Vehicle speed
Transmission oil temperature (automatic transmission only)

From the 2003 shop manual for the 2.4 liter Turbo:
Harness connector viewed from open end with the locating-locking tab at the top.
Top right is pin #1
Top left is pin #2
Bottom right is pin #3
Bottom left is pin #4
#1- black 10 gauge wire- ground
#2- violet/red 10 gauge wire- battery positive (fusible link)
#3- dark green/orange 16 gauge wire- auto-shutdown relay output
#4- dark blue/dark green 20 gauge wire- radiator fan motor control (part of PCM)

I would suggest checking the engine temperature sensor if the radiator fan is not getting any signal from the PCM on #4. Other members have had the engine temperature sensor fail causing the radiator fan not to work properly.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Sep 2017 at 12:50 am.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 12:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Are there any codes being generated? Have you inspected the connector which plugs into the fan? Are you sure all 4 terminals are making good contact in the connector? I can't remember which of those smaller two wires in the connector it is, but if you disconnect it and leave the others plugged in, it will trigger a p0480 code and the fan will run continuously on high. I experienced that when one of those msall pins was corroded on my car and had turned green from oxidation. It was like it wasn't connected and then the code came and the fan running on high. Once I cleaned the contacts, the fan worked correctly.

just something to check and you could try disconnecting one of those wires as a test too.

If you have a higher end scanner which had the ability to activate and deactivate individual components, you could try activating the fan and see if it comes on that way.
I did check connector for corrosion before replacing the fan. Seems to be in working order. There was a code I was getting but no CEL came on from that code. P0688 PCM power relay circuit, from research it lead me to believe pcm was bad so I replaced it. Haven't checked if code is still there or not. I will check again tonight.