Advertisements
Weird Fuel Problem

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2017, 12:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weird Fuel Problem

I made a post about this in the past, but the issue has only gotten stranger. One of the main suggestions to me is that perhaps I have a cracked exhaust manifold, but I don't think that can be it anymore.

To sum up my issue, my car was getting about 15 MPG with the CEL on with a lean engine (checked at AutoZone). My mechanic noticed that my valve cover gaskets were leaking oil and also leaked oil into the spark plug wells. He swapped the gaskets and resealed, while also cleaning out the spark plug wells.

The CEL turned off and for a few months my MPG returned to normal. The CEL came back on a few months later with the same MPG only to turn off again after a month returning my MPG to normal once again.

After several months the CEL never returned by my MPG started to plummet from 20 all the way down to 11. I just dealt with it for a while avoiding driving my car until my mechanic suggested using a engine cleaner. I ran some Techron through my car and it boosted the 11 MPG up to 21 MPG. It started to fall back down until I put a second Techron cleaner through.

It's been a few weeks since I put any in there and it's stayed around 16 MPG. Could it be the fuel filter? Or could it simply be something that is still lodged in there? This is getting very strange..
Old 06 Dec 2017, 11:14 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Weird Fuel Problem

there is no "real" fuel filter on these cars. they just have a sock on the fuel pump inlet. anything that gets through the sock ends up in the injectors. for what it's worth, my PT at 240,000 miles had the cleanest tank inside i'd ever seen. looking inside, you couldn't tell it apart from a brand new tank. i think with a plastic tank there just really is no need for an inline filter. the one on my mustang i can change the filter every oil change and have black crud pour out when i drain it backwards. meaning if i pour gas through it it comes out clean, if i tip it so the gas comes out the inlet, it comes out like murky pond water. i believe it is rust/metal, and the plastic tank in the PT prevents this from ever being an issue.

Capture.JPG

i believe any sediment or gunk that get through this usually sprays right through the injectors and out the tailpipe. it is possible that as the tiny debris passes through the injector it gets smashed as the injector opens and closes and accumulates over time, causing it to either spray funky, or to continue to add fuel when it should be closed/sealed since gunk is holding it open.

if injector cleaner fixes it every time, you might try to use a different gas station. everyone has their local gas station they use constantly. might be best to change where you gas up for a while to see if it prevents the problem. ...or just add the cleaner periodically

anyone else have thoughts on this?

Last edited by rob302; 06 Dec 2017 at 11:18 am.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 11:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

next time try the Berryman B-12 that Busted_PT raves about. they sell it all over. it works, and is CHEAP
LionPT and rambojoe like this.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 04:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

I religiously use 87 oct but winter gas sucks! (they mix it with that ethanol crap and other "stuff") our mpg nose dives unless we use 89... come summer ill go back to 87.

also when our spark plug wells filled with oil it took at least 4 times of cleaning to get all the oil out of the boot- I think you are on track. when there was any (read- ANY!) liquid up in the boot it would arc to the block. also make the engine idle like crap. p.s. chem tool b12 berrymans is all ive ever used because its the only cleaner that is nice to orings and viton. love it!
Old 06 Dec 2017, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate all the feedback. In terms of the gas I use it is generally Chevron with Techron inside of it. The cleaner I actually used happened to be Techron. I'll fill it with Shell and use that Berryman B-12 stuff. I hope it all works out because I would hate for it to be something more.. Involved.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 04:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

don't drink the chevron Kool-Aid... its all the same.