PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0300 codes... any hints?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2018, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question P0300 codes... any hints?

OK, last night my ultragauge popped out a 'Pending P0300' code. Acknowledged, and it was fine ( no other symptoms of anything).

This morning, the same thing - my ultragauge popped out a 'Pending P0300' code. Acknowledged, and it was fine ( no other symptoms of anything).

I haven't seen this one before, and forum search pointed me at a couple of things... such as plugs/wires (etc) - injector needing cleaning, and manifold gasket failure.

I figure it's maybe about due for plugs/wires (been a couple of years) but injectors have never had any known maintenance. I do run the 'best' fuel - allegedly Chevron 94 has extra Techron cleaner - and now and then I add some injector cleaner to the fuel... haven't done so for a year or two, come to think of it!

One thing I noticed in searching around was that this code was linked to "low fuel pressure"/ fuel pump failing. This is kind of interesting, as this car has always had a bit of "slow starting" (cranks like five or six times before firing up). And I have always kind of suspected that might be a fuel delivery issue. I always listen for the fuel pump to finish priming before it starts. It always reliably fires up - just seems to crank a little longer than I would expect. (Last time I had it in for oil change the mechanic mentioned he thought it was cranking a little long as well...)

Anyway, any suggestions as to how best to proceed with troubleshooting?

I'm going to clean the battery terminals this evening - they do seem to pick up a lot of 'fluff' pretty fast. And I've been mulling over maybe it's time to buy a new battery before winter, this one being a couple years old. (I remember last winter when it got cold, I was seeing a lot of P0700 codes...)
Old 29 Oct 2018, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0300 codes... any hints?

I have an UG and have noticed that it can be somewhat "sensitive" but in a good way.

A couple of weeks ago my PT had a kind of "stumble" when I was quickly accelerating to pass someone. A short time later, the UG sounded off and the code was for the Knock Sensor Circuit. There were no stored fault codes and the CEL was not on.

For the next couple of drive cycles it kept sounding off for the knock sensor circuit, but the CEL never came on. After a couple more days of good driving cycles, the fault cleared on its own.

But last year when it sounded off for a fault with the cooling fan circuit, the UG alerted me long before the CEL ever came on, and I was glad for that, because there was a problem with the cooling fan circuit.

I often wonder, if I did not have the UG, just how long would my PT have run with the cooling fan problem before the CEL would come on? Maybe long enough to cause over heating damage.

The point I'm trying to make is that don't just rush to start replacing something based solely on an initial alert from the UG. Maybe give your car a few more drive cycles to see if it clears up on its own. If it does get worse, the CEL should come on, or before that, if you don't have your own code reader, you can go to almost any auto parts store and they will do a free code read for any stored codes.

Now with your fuel issue, a couple of years ago I noticed my PT would have a very long crank on a cold engine, usually the first start of the day. But after that initial start up, it would be good for the day and start as normal, no long crank.

I had a fuel pressure test done and all was good with that. However, the shop kept my PT overnight and with a special gauge set still hooked up to my PT, they discovered that the fuel system was not holding pressure overnight and would bleed down, causing the long crank the next day.

The fuel pump was replaced and ever since it starts up within just a few seconds of cranking, just like it should.
rockandroller likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 29 Oct 2018, 03:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

for both of you now, it could be the basic basics and switch gas! a lot of them are (sometimes) selling crap...

one vote for the fuel at diamond shamrock/fry's... 40 more miles MORE compared to the others on a tank...
Old 29 Oct 2018, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
for both of you now, it could be the basic basics and switch gas! a lot of them are (sometimes) selling crap...

one vote for the fuel at diamond shamrock/fry's... 40 more miles MORE compared to the others on a tank...
I only use a name-brand gas (Shell, Texaco, Chevron). Several years ago when gas was really high I started using Walmart (Murphy). Never again, PT ran like crap and had to replace the O2 sensors.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 29 Oct 2018, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: P0300 codes... any hints?

Thanks all!

Well, I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but sure enough, this afternoon it started twice just fine, with no code alerts. And it IS the season where they are starting to mess around with 'winter gas' formulations - maybe I got a bad tank a couple days back...
rckstein likes this.
Old 29 Oct 2018, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest making sure the code is being reset properly. If it comes back I would check to see if you have 58 +/- 5 PSI pressure. If that is good do a leak down test as other members have posted.
Old 29 Oct 2018, 11:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

FIRST the ULTRA GAUGE is NOT sensitive. It only reports what the ECU sends to it. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ULTRA GAUGE is a simple electronic diagnostic tool
Next time I suggest to check the monitors I am sure you find one or more in fault.

The P300 engine code regarding any car is a generic engine trouble code that has no set perimeter within established in the auto makers engine control module/unit (ECU/ECM PCM=Power control module). This means that any ignition or fueling anomaly can set a P300.

Generic DTC engine trouble codes need to be handled in a problem solving tree of eliminating possible causes.

This is where you get to earn your money diagnosing a generic trouble code.

For DIY I would start with the things you best know how to check and then if this is does not correct the issue start to look at the harder to check items that may have generated the generic code to activate and remain on.
rockandroller and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Oct 2018 at 11:23 pm.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Today: still all quiet, no more pending codes. I got busy last night and neglected to clean my battery leads, definitely gonna carve out an hour for maintenance this evening...
rckstein likes this.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Re: P0300 codes... any hints?

Does anyone know what a P1603 code is? I'm getting that on my 06 GT.
PTpreacher
Old 30 Oct 2018, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTpreacher View Post
Does anyone know what a P1603 code is? I'm getting that on my 06 GT.
PTpreacher
From the Service Manual:

Don't want to jump the gun, but if you do end up needing a new PCM, you can get a rebuilt one for a lot less than the $1200 plus programming that the dealership will want, and theirs will also be rebuilt.

And most sources that supply rebuilt ones will program the vehicle VIN into it and it will be plug-n-play to replace, very easy to do.

USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 30 Oct 2018 at 06:48 pm.