PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Biggest Mistake of My Life

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2018, 11:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Biggest Mistake of My Life

My wife and I have enjoyed our 2004 GT with little problems in the last 5 years of ownership. Started out with about 50K miles and now have about 80K miles. In 30K of driving besides normal fluid changes, I replaced the spark plugs and wires, motor mounts, one a/c line and a seeping oil sender unit along with front brake rotors and pads.

I just point this out to say that not all PT owners have had the same experience or failures. I may be biased with my experience but I still think the PT is a great value used but not all used cars are the same. Really surprised at some of the items you listed like all the door locks needing replaced. What was the deal with that ?
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Genther, just wait until it's time for the timing belt replacement. You're looking at an EXPENSIVE repair if you take it somewhere. Depending on where you live, it could run you from $800-1500. That would be the time to put it up for sale here or crush it. Your choice. You got a lemon, you might as well squeeze it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 13 Nov 2018 at 08:12 am.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post

Now go and work on a Mini - it's exactly the same.
9 out of 10 jobs involve lifting the bonnet and taking out the radiator to get at anything.

Even the engine is the same - up until about 6 years ago, when BMW decided to start putting a piece of crap from Peugeot in instead - although they did get rid of the poor (originally Rover) gearbox and start fitting Getrags.

The PT is no worse than most cars of it's era, or this era.

The days when you could walk all around an engine or pop a dead alternator off with one hand got left in the 80's...
LOL its MINI(BMW) not Mini as in the original I own a GEN 1 MCS with a Super Charger 1.6 Chrysler engine and also a GEN 2 with a TurboCharged engine. What you said is only half correct. I have never had to remove the radiator on either. YES there are some factory service procedure they say you need to move the radiator support forward but even those if you know a little around the engine you do not need to do that.

Also the "Prince" 1.6 engine had/has some issue which were EASY to resolve. Already did that as well. LOL

But for a DIY, yaaaaa I can see having challenges working on wither GEN's!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Nov 2018, 02:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I was stretching a point, but I'm sure you know that

Besides, I'm spoiled, since the diesels really are like the MINI (pedant ) - rad out you can do most things, and it gets like second nature.

FWIW, I'm seriously looking at buying a 2003 with a 1.6 Pentagon (there, do you like that..? ) that I found sleeping in the corner of a field, laid up with what the owner thinks is a head gasket, while I've convinced myself it's more likely a water pump impellor gone to dust.

Apart from that and a split dashtop it's as clean as a new pin, 90K miles (roughly in Km) and I can get it for peanuts...

Further updates may appear from me about how much like working on a MINI they are ...

PS: I didn't think they had sorted out the timing chain tensioner shit on the later engine..?
Old 13 Nov 2018, 02:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
When I did the timing belt on my 08 Subaru Outback I removed the alternator just to find an anchor point for a socket wrench I used to hold and accessory belt when I needed to remove the harmonic balancer. There wasn't enough room to fit my impact wrench onto the crankshaft bolt and I didn't want to risk doing the breaker bar and starter "bump" so I simply wrapped the drive belt over the harmonic balancer and used the socket wrench to anchor it. There was a convenient shelf behind the alternator so I took it off to fit the wrench.

Removing the alternator was literally a 5 minute job and a couple of bolts. Of course a head gasket job on a boxer engine is completely different and I had to take that into a shop to have it done.

I've been looking at the alternator job on the PT and am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it will hold up and not need to be replaced for a long time.
The last Jap timing belt I did was on my old Landcruiser with the 4.0ltr lump. It took about 15 minutes including a cup of tea.
If it had been raining I could have got in the engine bay and pulled the bonnet closed to keep dry.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 05:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
The last Jap timing belt I did was on my old Landcruiser with the 4.0ltr lump. It took about 15 minutes including a cup of tea.
If it had been raining I could have got in the engine bay and pulled the bonnet closed to keep dry.
honda's are like that too. i can do a civic timing belt in under an hour.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm the original owner of an 05... now at 228,000 miles.

I'm sure the party will end one of these days, but the only underhood parts I have replaced apart from routine maintenance items are one power steering pressure switch, and 3 cooling fan assemblies, and a few wires I broke when doing the timing belt/water pump. The other sensors, parts, even the alternator, is still original.

As far as the suspension... I have replaced one axle, the control arms, and 4 watts links in the rear, soon to be 5, and recently, one of the front tie rods.

Still enjoying the ride and the car is reliable. Never been stranded.
chimazo, Fk5, Cat22 and 4 others like this.
Old 08 Oct 2019, 04:02 am
Young Cruiser

So did you make it more than 9 months? Before you crush it the car, pm me about sending me your intercooler pipes. 😁
rockandroller likes this.
Old 09 Oct 2019, 10:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I've had 5 or 6 pt Cruisers and haven't had to replace anywhere near the thing you have changed or had replaced and only one had less miles that what you have on Your PT Cruiser.
Same Here!
I have had 6 PT Cruiser now with not even the total problems you have had with one! All but 1 have been "used"!
"Lemon"....or bought with problems already there.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I find some mechanics are better than others.

Some are careful taking parts and some banging into other parts taking the parts out loweri
ng the life of all the parts being banged into.. If you are a tree mechanic like me you know banging into other parts is normal. Mainly its boils down how much time you have to do the job.

The only thing on my Pt Cruisers is Cam sensor, radiator fan in my wifes Pt Cruiser ( my wife likes to use A/C all the time. I don't. My 2008 still has the original radiator fan at 111,000 miles. ). All the other normal wear and tear but no generator ( others call them alternators), no starters but had to replace CAT on both Pt Cruisers due to oil burning from climbing hills all the time.

Due to NitroPT I was able to my CAT's very reasonable with his advice. I wish I had his knowledge.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Oct 2019 at 10:45 am.