PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Cartridge Replacement

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2019, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Cartridge Replacement

I am going to tackle replacing my cartridge this weekend in my 2006 PT GT (around 80k miles). I also have an oil feed line that I am going to replace while I am at it, just in case there is a problem with that too.

Any tips, HOW-TO's, or Gotch-ya's? I searched around the site and found a couple tips here and there.

1. Is the oil feed line hard to replace? Does anything need to be done from under the car?

2. Do I have to drain the coolant completely or at all? Will the lines on the cartridge be empty just based on them being higher on the engine?

3. Can the cartridge be replaced without pulling the whole turbo (unhooking exhaust and exhaust manifold)?

Charlie

Last edited by mastercudaz; 23 Feb 2019 at 10:43 am.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 12:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Cartridge Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercudaz View Post
I am going to tackle replacing my cartridge this weekend. I also have an oil feed line that I am going to replace while I am at it, just in case there is a problem with that too.

Any tips, HOW-TO's, or Gotch-ya's? I searched around the site and found a couple tips here and there.

I see that removing the upper intake makes it the easiest, is it required?

I need to change the oil so I am assuming I should drain it anyway to replace feed line.

Do I have to drain the coolant for any reason?

Can the cartridge be replaced without pulling the whole turbo?

Replacing the cartridge because it sounds to me like the bearings are going (like when I shut the car off I can hear it spinning way louder)

Charlie
Whats the model and mileage?
Old 21 Feb 2019, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, 2006 PT GT and about 80k

Last edited by mastercudaz; 21 Feb 2019 at 07:00 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone? Tips?

I cleaned up my original post a little bit and made it more concise... hopefully.

Last edited by mastercudaz; 23 Feb 2019 at 10:40 am.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well progress has been made on the PT GT. I have removed the turbo finally and need to get the C ring removed next. Ran into a couple issues. The Oil feed inlet "fitting" that was on the car does not fit into the new cartridge, so looks like I need to get a new one. And I noticed that a vacuum hose has broken. It is on the side of the throttle body inlet tube.

Any idea what that particular one does? It wraps over the firewall to a block on the passenger side.

FYI, about 90% blockage in the turbo cartridge for oil... I have a new oil feed line, but not sure how I am going to get it replaced. Can I just pushing all the crud down into the oil pan with a long wire pipe cleaner?

Old 24 Feb 2019, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look in the turbo sticks and there is a turbo rebuild thread to go by. Covers many of your questions. Your oil line should be the same as the new one. So if it doesn't fit the cartridge. You may have the wrong one. The oil line is the hardest part. Has a block adapter that has to be held with a wrench while loosening the oil line. A pain to get access to. I used a drill bit the same size of the tubing and by hand clean out the tube. Usually only clogged up to right before the bend of the tube. After you finish the tube. Pull fuel and ignition relays and crank over to flush out the line. Have helper do the switch and you can catch oil in a small can. Should be a full big stream. Assemble and do the switch again to prime the turbo. Replace the relays and your good to go.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any idea if that broken vacuum line goes to something important? The one that is on the air tube with the curve at the end? Was thinking maybe I could tape it or split it
Old 27 Feb 2019, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercudaz View Post
Any idea if that broken vacuum line goes to something important? The one that is on the air tube with the curve at the end? Was thinking maybe I could tape it or split it
All the vacuum lines or important on these. Maybe slip a hose over to connect the two ends.
mastercudaz likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Feb 2019, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking and will do
Old 01 Mar 2019, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

SO, I have gotten back around to working on the car again. I have the old cartridge out and I removed the oil feed line fitting from the old Turbo however it does not fit into the new turbo cartridge. It appears that the new oil feed line threaded hole in the catridge is 12mm x 1.5 which is not what it was previously. Has anyone else ran into this??